I was sitting on our balcony on Sunday afternoon, enjoying the slightly unexpected sunshine, when I noticed, much to my amazement, that we had a couple of small tomatoes growing on our tomato plant!

The tomato plants really have a life of their own. From tiny little plants just a few months ago, there’s one that’s nearly as tall as me.  Until now, however, their upwards growth (and stupendous ability to consumer water) had not been matched by the production of anything other than green leaves.

This was true for most of our plants (or, at least, the ones that I didn’t kill) but in the last few weeks, we’ve had a little more success. First there were a couple of strawberries. After that, a relatively good crop of salad leaves kept us occupied for a while. The herbs are growing faster than I can use them. Finally, we got our biggest haul. Seven raspberries!

I think the raspberries are the most miraculous to me.  When I first planted the canes, back in March, I couldn’t believe that what was, essentially, a pile of twigs would ever grown leaves, let alone produce fruit. But here I am today with doughnuts (because what kind of celebration doesn’t involve doughnuts) which are topped with a glaze made from our very own raspberries.

These doughnuts are my pretty standard doughnut recipe, made a little bit fancy with a dash of rose water (not too much, just enough to give a hint of something floral in the background). The glaze is sweet and tangy and bright; it’s nothing more than crushed raspberries and icing sugar. I like to sprinkle freeze dried raspberries on top but I bet crushed pistachios would be pretty amazing too.  Here’s to many more happy harvests!

chocolate, rose + raspberry donuts {gluten free}

• 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 teaspoon rose water
  • For the glaze:
  • 115g (1 cup) icing sugar
  • 6 or 7 ripe raspberries
  • Freeze dried raspberries, to decorate

1. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, ground almonds, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder and salt. In a separate bowl, lightly whisk together the milk, yoghurt, olive oil, egg and rose extract until smooth.
  2. Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and fold through until the flour has just disappeared; don't overmix! Set the batter aside for half an hour or so just so that the buckwheat flour absorbs as much liquid as it needs to; you should end up with a fairly air-filled batter once the baking powder has started working. Much the better.
  3. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F and grease a 6-hole doughnut pan with a little olive oil (or butter). Spoon the batter into the tin until filled just below the top and bake for 8 - 10 minutes until risen. Check to see if the doughnuts are cooked with a toothpick - it should come out clean. Allow the doughnuts to cool for a few minutes in the tin before transferring to a wire rack.
  4. When the doughnuts have cooled, make the glaze by pushing your raspberries through a sieve to get a couple of teaspoons of juice. Whisk it, little by little, into a bowl of icing sugar until you have the consistency that you want. Cover the doughnuts in the glaze and top with whatever takes your fancy!

These are only really very lightly adapted from my chocolate and orange doughnuts but I was too excited by the raspberry glaze not to share them again.

39 Responses to "chocolate, rose + raspberry donuts {gluten free}"
  1. Ceri says:

I’ve actually never made doughnuts before, so these look really exciting. I think i’m put off by memories of the greasy deep fried ones sold at fun fairs and the like! Nice work on the tomatoes, I can barely keep a pot of herbs alive!

2. These looks beautiful. I’ve been putting off a mini garden allotment for ages but it sounds so satisfying to have your first harvest :)

These look lovely! And how wonderful it is that the raspberries came from your own garden. Makes these donuts all the more special.

4. Wonderful harvesting celebration totally deserves this FANTASTIC chocolate and rose doughnuts with a raspberry glaze!!!! <3 <3 <3

5. Hooray for harvests! These are so gorgeous and what a perfect thing to make with your first berries :) Also, I’ve never picked up rosewater, but these have me thinking that I need to.

6. These are just the prettiest, Kathryn. Yay for tiny harvests!

7. todd wagner says:

Such beautiful flavor going on here, Kathryn. Oh, and I love the idea of the dried fruit on top!

8. I love these, Kathryn! And how awesome that the raspberries came from your garden — that must have made these even more amazing!

9. Ohhhh my!! These donuts sound incredible. I really love the chocolate + rose + raspberry combo! Very cool.

10. That’s amazing that you grew your own raspberries! That does deserve a celebration! I love that you used freeze-dried raspberries in place of sprinkles. I never would have thought of that, but this much more relevant and elegant. These donuts look positively scrumptious.
    Happy harvest!
    xx Sydney

11. Oh I’m so glad to hear that your plants are flourishing! The last time you did a gardening post my garden was still doing pretty well, but as of now I have managed to kill all my herbs with the exception of chives and I have yet to see any berries come from my berry plants. Veggies, however, are still doing okay. So exciting to be able to eat something from your garden- I imagine it must feel quite empowering/proud! Beautiful doughnuts, as always, and the perfect way to celebrate!

12. Kasey says:

I cannot wait to have a garden to tend on my own — even if I will likely kill a bunch of stuff in the process :) These donuts are absolutely gorgeous!

13. Ashlae says:

Hip hip for a raspberry crop! <3 So happy you put them to good use by turning them into something celebratory AND delicious. That glaze is straight up stunning. High fives, babe!

14. I’m just impressed that you can grow tomato plants! I have negative green thumbs so no way could I grow anything.

15. Abby says:

These doughnuts are gorgeous, Kathryn, and I’m obsessed with your beautiful photos. xo

16. I wish we’d done more with our garden this year! Luckily our roses and lilies are returning with abundance this year without any intervention from us – but there’s nothing edible!

Really must get a doughnut pan for making big doughnuts – yours look great. Beautiful raspberry glaze.

17. Oh I am just so happy for you and your garden :) your experiences you’ve had so far remind me of ours. Those tomatoes put SO much into those green leaves don’t they?! And then POP comes a dozen juicy red orbs. But raspberries, now thats a whole other kind of exciting! I’m impressed you were able to save them for this recipe (I’m afraid they would have all ended up in my mouth) – this recipe, by the way, is gorgeous! Love that color <3

18. Sounds like your little garden is doing really well — very impressed! My parents had a raspberry patch when I was a kid, and I remember being so amazed by it, such wild leaves and branches yielding such delicate fruit. These donuts look like a perfect summer dessert, can’t wait to give them a try! x

19. These doughnuts look so lovely and pink!! And also I am very jealous of your little tomato plant… I gave my mom a tomato plant at the beginning of the season and she just completely killed it. I don’t understand how my mom can grow the most beautiful hydrangeas and roses but have a horribly black thumb when it comes to any sort of edible plant. Oh well.

20. These are so pretty! I love the color! Can’t wait to make them :)

21. Emma says:

I can’t think of a better way to use up your raspberry crop! I love the idea of adding freeze dried raspberries or pistachios- so pretty Kathryn! Good luck using up your herbs :)

22. Sherrie says:

Kathryn these donuts are stunnnnnning!! And I’m so happy for you and your garden successes, because dude gardening is freaking HARD. All my love, all the time, xo!!

23. Erica says:

I love the color, such a beautiful pink! And hooray for a successful gardening experience! Our balcony garden experience is quite similar so reading your words made me smile.

24. I share your excitement for cooking with produce that you planted, tended, and cared for yourself. This is our first year growing our own vegetables and the experience has been so wonderful! I just pulled up the last of our scallions to make veggie burgers and I had a whole heirloom tomato to put on top. So exciting! I wish that I had planted raspberries, next year :) . These doughnuts look fantastic.

25. erin says:

Amazing! I have terrible luck with growing actual food aside from herbs. Even our pepper plants, which you would think would be pretty low maintenance, seem to be dying this year. :(

26. these donuts look amazing!! love that they are glutenfree, can´t wait to try this <3

27. Awww, congratulations on your berry + tomato crops! I couldn’t think of a better use for the raspberries… <3

28. Renee Kemps says:

They look perfect! And there’s nothing better than harvesting your own fruits and vegetables! Wishing I had a balcony to grow some (:

This is magical. Your own raspberries, and tomatoes, and strawberries and herbs galore! You are a garden goddess (teach me your ways, please). These donuts look so very good, and even more so from that truly homemade glaze. Yay for your lovely garden and these donuts!

30. I have had a doughnut pan for awhile now and I have never used it. This look like the perfect place to start. These look amazing! Isn’t it wonderful to harvest food you have grown? Such and awesome feeling. Gorgeous photos here!

31. Alison says:

Just beautiful!

32. Kate says:

I need to get green fingered – the thought of my own fruit in the garden is so tempting! These look gorgeous – love the pretty pink glaze x

33. Sini says:

These may be the most gorgeous doughnuts I’ve ever seen. That color – so pretty! And I’m 100% sure that they don’t only look good but taste amazing as well. Thanks for sharing!
    About that gardening thing…Oh I hear you, lady! I had a veggie garden for the very first time this year with zucchinis, cucumbers, radishes, beets, peas, beans, lettuce, etc. Because of a really cold summer the harvest hasn’t been that great though, but despite that, I’ve really enjoyed the whole gardening process and can’t wait to see whether or not my baby beets grow properly and eventually start planning the next growing season. xx

34. Alana says:

How awesome that these raspberry donuts were made with YOUR homegrown raspberries!! And then you went and grew your own tomatoes and strawberries too!? You’re a total green goddess!! Ps – That raspberry color is insane!!

35. Putting rosewater in baked goods instantly turns up the elegance! And I bet it tastes amazing with chocolate and raspberry. Also can’t get over that you made them with your own berries– too rad! xo

36. Our tomato plants were kind of a dud this year. Glad that yours grew tall and strong though! Also, these doughnuts. WOW! So beautiful, Kathryn. And GF too! :)

37. Siri says:

The thing about tomato plants is: don’t be afraid to cut them back! They’ll be much happier (and produce many more tomatoes) if you stop them from growing too tall by snipping off the top shoots regularly. The plants don’t normally need to be taller than about a metre :) The donuts look amazing!

38. I’m all about gluten free baking right now, so I am SO into this!! would love these with some red, white, and green sprinkles for Christmas, I think that would be so cute! x