Although it’s been a while (a month!) since I last posted a recipe here, there’s been no shortage of cooking and baking recently.  It seems like every week brings with it a new cookbook release. Often on a Friday night, I can be found with a glass of wine in hand, pouring over the contents of my latest Amazon delivery and trying to decide what to make first.

One of the books that I’ve been most enthralled by is Emma’s book, My Darling Lemon Thyme. Emma’s blog has long been one of my favourites. Her thoughtful words, dreamy photography and vibrant (vegetarian, gluten free and sometimes dairy free) recipes have rightfully earned her a number of awards and a loyal following. Emma’s book came out in Australia and New Zealand last year and finally arrived in the UK last month (a US release is due later this year). I’m so glad to finally be able to cook from it.

I’d never really considered trying to make a gluten free version of choux pastry before but this recipe makes it easy.  A mix of buckwheat flour, rice flour and corn flour – three of the more easy to find gluten free flours – is all you need. Emma’s base recipe can be transformed into little choux buns, as she makes, or filled with cream and topped with chocolate to make profiteroles. I’ve even made a savoury version, adding a handful of grated gruyere to the batter and sprinkling them with cracked black pepper before baking to make gougeres.

Eclairs are the kind of thing which seem like they should be a lot more complicated to make than they are. If you’ve not made choux pastry before, the process can seem a little bizarre but it’s not difficult at all. Rather than faff around making creme patissiere to fill them, I tend to just use whipped cream. Here, I folded through a couple of tablespoons of lemon curd for something that feels luxurious without being too rich or heavy. A simple icing and some chopped pistachios for colour are texture are all you really need in terms of decoration.

Happy weekend all!

lemon and pistachio eclairs {gluten free}

Yield: Makes 12

Eclairs are often filled with pastry cream but I much prefer a filling of gently whipped cream. A couple of spoonfuls of lemon curd folded through keeps it light and fresh (and easy). I've used this choux pastry recipe in several incarnations - little choux buns topped with chocolate ganache and freeze dried raspberries, my favourite chouquettes and savoury gougeres, rich with gruyere and brightened with a generous helping of black pepper. Emma's recipe works perfectly in all of them.

• 50g (just under 1/2 stick) unsalted butter
  • A pinch each of sea salt
  • 35g (1/4 cup) rice flour
  • 20g (1/8 cup) buckwheat flour
  • 10g (1/8 cup) corn flour (corn starch)
  • 2 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 200ml (7/8 cup) double cream (heavy cream)
  • 2 generous tablespoons lemon curd
  • 100g (1/2 cup) icing sugar (powdered sugar)
  • The juice of half a lemon
  • Chopped pistachios, for sprinkling on top

1. Preheat the oven to 200C/400F. Line a baking tray with non-stick paper.
  2. Put the butter and salt in a pan with 120ml (1/2 cup) of water. Heat gently until the butter has melted and the mixture just comes to the boil. Add all the flours and beat with a wooden spoon until a smooth dough forms, about a minute or so.
  3. Take the pan off the heat and allow the mixture to cool for a few minutes before gradually adding the beaten eggs, mixing after each edition until smooth. Keep adding the egg until you have a shiny dough that will gently drop from the spoon; you may not need all the egg.
  4. Transfer the dough to a piping bag fitted with a large tip or - as I do - use a freezer bag with the end snapped off. Pipe 12 lengths of dough onto the baking sheet. They should be about 10cm long and fairly fat. Put them in the oven for about 25 minutes until they are golden brown and crisp to the touch. Remove from the oven and make a little slit in the side of each one. Turn off the oven and put the eclairs back in for 10 minutes or so to dry out. Remove and transfer to a cooling rack.
  5. Once cool, split the eclairs in half. At this point, you might need to pop them back into a warm oven for a couple of minutes if they still look damp inside.
  6. To make the filling, whip cream until stiff peaks form. Fold through the lemon curd and spoon them into the bottom halves of the eclairs. Put the other half on top and gently press down until the cream starts to squidge out the side. Finally, whisk together the icing sugar and lemon juice until you have a smooth icing. Spread it on top of the eclairs and top with chopped pistachios.

33 Responses to "lemon and pistachio eclairs {gluten free}"
  1. Renée Kemps says:

They’re so so so gorgeous!! and yay for so many new cookbooks. I love My Darling Lemon Thyme too, so inspiring, and this recipe looks amazing. Plus, they’re gluten free but they look like normal ones, perfection!!

2. Angela says:

I love My Darling Lemon Thyme blog as well and you have really done these eclairs justice. I have made eclairs a few times, but I’ve never tried to make gluten free.

Is there any difference in texture? They look like a lovely flavour too!

3. You are too kind love, thank you for all your super kind words! I’m SO happy you love this recipe and my book and I’m thrilled it’s finally available up your end of the world. Much love xx

4. Happy to see you back, and with a doozie!! These eclairs sound perfect…especially for the weekend!

5. I can’t wait for this cookbook to come out here in the US! I love that you were able to make a gluten free choux, which I would have thought would be really difficult. Also, pistachio and lemon foreverrrr!

6. Wow, gluten free choux pastry? Made with BUCKWHEAT?! I am beyond intrigued. I’ve been playing around with buckwheat so much lately; I love the earthy flavor it can impart on desserts. Definitely saving this recipe to try in the future!

Also, love the way you folded lemon curd into whipped cream. Yum. Also making a mental note of that for a future dessert.

7. Skye says:

Choux pastry is my nemesis – every time I try to make it, it ends up being a complete disaster. And I can’t quite figure out why! So, I can’t tell you quite how beyond impressed I am by this gorgeous little creations. And I love the filling too – so perfectly Spring like! Beautiful post, as ever, Kathryn! Xx

8. Abby says:

Oh, this is so, so lovely, Kathryn! I’m a huge fan of Emma’s work, and can’t wait for her book to arrive in the US. These eclairs are simply gorgeous. xx

9. Anne says:

Gluten free eclairs? You’re a genius…

10. Magda says:

I love choux pastry but I never would have thought that a gluten-free version would be so successful. They look so good!
    Even though I’m not on a gluten-free diet, I love Emma’s blog and recipes and I can’t wait to get her book :)

11. What a beautiful recipe! I’ve been so curious since seeing your photo on Instagram. I’m so excited to try these!

12. Amanda says:

Thank you for sharing this recipe! Eclairs were my favorite pregluten-free dessert. I can’t wait to make these.

13. Jennie says:

These look so deliciously pretty! I can’t get enough of pistachios at the moment.
    I’d never have thought gluten free choux pastry would be so easily achievable – i’m very impressed :)

Jennie // Scarletscorchdroppers

14. You and Emma just blew my mind! Gluten free Choux pastry? I didn’t think it was possible. I love the lemon curd cream here. I will definitely be making these soon, if not in two minutes :)

15. These are so charming! And since I already have corn and buckwheat flours on hand, I may just swap in spelt for the rice flour and see how it goes. I’m such a sucker for eclairs. Lovely!

16. Tanya says:

I never have tried to make GF choux paste, but the recipe is so easy and they look delish! Will definitely try them now. Love the pistachio topping too!

17. Kate says:

I love Emma’s book. I’ve mostly made her savoury and breakfast recipes but have bookmarked a couple of sweet ones for my coeliac friend – including those buns! These are such a lovely adaptation and agree on the filling – I actually prefer whipped to pastry cream, it tastes less intense.

18. Sophia says:

Kathryn these look and sound so wonderful! I was super excited when I found out that eclairs, choux etc. are one of those things that can be baked with gluten-free flours – while I don’t have any issues with eating gluten, I love the variety that using different flours brings. Coincidentally I have just bought some pearl sugar as I have been meaning to make some oat flour chouquettes this weekend. But now you are tempting me with those eclairs of yours – also, lemon and buckwheat sounds like a wonderful combination. As earthy and bitter as buckwheat can be I also think it tastes a bit floral and I bet that is lovely with the lemon curd and whipped cream!

19. I’ve never heard of gluten-free choux parstry before but these look phenomenal; almost too pretty to eat! I’m dying to get my hands on Emma’s book – I love her work so much. But there have been so many amazing cookbooks coming out lately that I’ve had to restrict myself from ordering every single one as soon as they come out… It’s definitely hard to resist the temptation!
    My dad used to make cream puffs from scratch (hopefully almost) every night he came home from work (that is 12am)…sadly he dumped that ritual before I was born. Although my dad has been known for mastering the art of making choux pastry, I still haven’t made any myself. Maybe I should finally give it a go and surprise my dad with a bunch of luscious eclairs or cream puffs :)

20. I’m always impressed by the extent to which brilliant bakers like Emma (and you!) can push gluten-free baking to be nearly indistinguishable from wheat products. The texture of these eclairs looks perfect. I think I need to try my hand at these for sure!

21. I get so excited when I receive my Amazon delivery too! But not as excited as I would be to sink my teeth into a few of these dreamy pastries. I’ve never been an eclair girl, but allllllways a lemon girl. I think these would give me a change of heart. Especially being gluten free! Emma, you genius, you. Gorgeous photos too, Kathryn! <3

22. I have to admit that I’ve shied away from most gluten-free pastries but these seem like an excellent starting point. I, too, have been waiting for this cookbook to come out! Love your addition of lemon curd…so good. Such beauties!

23. Amanda Paa says:

these are beautiful! i’m been wanting emmas book as well, i’m sure its fantastic. and i love that she uses pretty normal flours in these eclairs. i don’t think i would have ever tried making them, but this gives me confidence. and your savory version sounds fantastic. i hope spring is making its way to your area! xo

Choux pastry is actually one of my favorites because it seems so impressive to others…but is actually SO easy in the scheme of French baked things! This lemon and pistachio filling is just too good. I’m very much a sucker for anything pistachio-ed!

25. Oh my god, these look SO good. I’ve never tried choux pastry but these have convinced me I need to hunt some down (or make this??) Plus pistachios and lemon? These eclairs look to die for!

26. Alanna says:

Oh these are GORGEOUS! I’ve been wanting to try my hand at GF eclairs but didn’t know if it could be done. Thank you so much for sharing this recipe! These flavors sound delectable and I just love your beautiful photos (as always).

I do love a good eclair.. these look absolutely amazing, especially with that pistachio topping.

28. Kari says:

Lemon and pistachio are such great flavors. I need to turn to them more!

29. Karen Kelly says:

I love your site and your photos are gorgeous. I know from experience that working with gluten free flour can be such a challenge but these eclairs look like the real thing. I have never used buckwheat flour but anxious to try it. How weird that it’s gluten free when it has “wheat” in its’ name? Thanks for sharing!

30. Marialuisa says:

Oh these are cool!, I have to make them someday
    Thanks for sharing
    Love from Spain

31. Ohhh these are just gorgeous and one wouldn’t guess they’re gluten free. I say that because baking airy pastries with gf flours can be tricky, in my opinion. And thank you for posting this because I just found Emma’s blog thanks to you! Very excited to see what else there’s in store for my lil Korean eyes to see, hehe.

32. Kate says:

Kathryn, these looks marvelous! I love to see gluten-free renditions of desserts that do them justice! Looks like you found a winner in Emma’s book.

33. Henna says:

Ohh, I love the flavour of lemon & pistachios must be a perfect combination with it ! Must try, thanks for posting this. :)