buckwheat crepes | london bakes

I think my favourite thing about pancake day, apart from the excuse to eat more pancakes, is that it means you are clearly out of that slightly bleak post-Christmas period and the countdown to Easter (and therefore Spring!) has started. So whilst I’m not generally one for scheduling posts around whatever holiday the food world has decided to co-opt, I had to make an exception for today.

Clearly, given my long and ongoing obsession with buckwheat flour, I knew it would have to feature in my pancakes.  This is a fairly basic but useful recipe for buckwheat crepes, versatile enough to go sweet or savoury depending on your tastes – I’ve included an idea for each below the recipe itself.

The savoury version is a simple (but delicious!) combination of ham, gruyere and market greens with a slick of mustard for a bit of a kick. In the interests of full disclosure, it’s been my lunch every day for the last four days.

The sweet version uses hazelnut milk in place of regular milk (although that’s optional) and then a slightly magical (vegan + dairy free!) chocolate and hazelnut butter sauce is drizzled on top.  Even if you don’t make the pancakes, I would absolutely recommend that you make the sauce and just liberally spoon it over some ice cream.

buckwheat crepes | london bakes

buckwheat crepes | london bakes

buckwheat crepes | london bakes

basic buckwheat crêpes

Yield: Makes 2 - 3 large pancakes or 4 - 5 smaller pancakes

My crêpes tend to be fairly abstemious made, as they are, just with flour, eggs and milk (dairy or otherwise - see the instructions for the hazelnut crêpes below). If you like, you can substitute a couple of tablespoons of melted butter for an equal amount of milk for a richer effect.

Ingredients

• 2 eggs
  • 110ml (1/2 cup less 1 tablespoon) milk
  • 55g (1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon) buckwheat flour
  • A pinch of salt
  • Butter, for cooking

Instructions

1. In a large bowl, whisk together the egg and milk. Whisk in the buckwheat flour and salt until smooth and let the mixture sit in the fridge for a couple of hours (or overnight - I've actually kept it in my fridge for three days without ill effect)
  2. When you're ready to cook, heat a knob of butter in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Give the batter a quick whisk and ladle a spoonful of batter into the pan. Twirl it around so that the batter covers the whole pan and cook the pancake for a minute or so until brown. Flip it over to cook the other side for 30 seconds.

To make the savoury crêpes with ham, gruyere and greens:

Prepare the batter as above, adding a pinch of pepper and nutmeg along with the salt. Once you’ve flipped the pancake over, spread a little mustard  over half of it. If, like me, you’re not a huge fan of mustard, you can mellow it with a little mayo or creme fraiche so you still get a kick of flavour but it’s not too hot. Add a handful of ham and sprinkle with gruyere cheese.  Cook until the cheese starts to melt and then add some mixed greens. Once the pancake is cooked through, flip the uncooked half over the filling and gently fold again into quarters.

To make the sweet crêpes with chocolate and hazlenut fudge sauce:

Make the chocolate and hazelnut fudge sauce first by heating 1/2 cup of water in a small pan until boiling. Add 1 cup of sugar and 1/2 cup of cocoa powder, whisking to combine. Simmer for a couple of minutes, whisking every now and then, until the sauce is thick. Add 1/4 cup of hazelnut butter and cook over a low heat, continuing to whisk, until smooth. Take off the heat and add 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract and a pinch of salt. Set aside until needed.  The sauce will keep for a week in the fridge, just gently heat it when required.

To make the pancakes, prepare the batter as above substituting hazelnut milk for the plain milk. Cook the crêpes as directed and top with a drizzle of warm chocolate and hazelnut sauce, a dollop of creme fraiche (or ice cream!) and some chopped hazelnuts.

Chocolate and hazelnut fudge sauce adapted from epicurious.

29 Responses to "buckwheat crêpes – two ways {gluten free}"

Crepes, pancakes, same difference! I wasn’t planning on doing anything special for Fat Tuesday but now I’m thinking I need to get my crepe on. Both savory AND sweet.

2. Oh boy! Though I am usually not one for sweets, the idea of incorporating hazelnut milk into pancake batter just seems genius. Buckwheat and hazelnuts feel like a match made in bakery heaven. I think I am going to try the savoury ones first, and then give the sweet version a whirl once I get some hazelnut milk :)

3. Kathryn, your crepes look absolutely heavenly! I love buckwheat flour and your idea of using hazelnut milk is brilliant.
    Happy Pancake Day to you!
    xoxo
    E

4. Kathryn, this is perfect! I’m absolutely in love with buckwheat crepes, but haven’t been pleased with any recipes I’ve tried online. Definitely going to give yours a go.

Also, I love that you’ve had this for lunch everyday. Sounds so luxurious! Way better than my sad salads that I eat at my desk :-/

5. ah! beautiful. the savory version sounds amazing. it’s almost always the simplest recipes that i feel most excited/fortunate to see. both versions here are inspiring and gorgeous.

I love crepes.. these look absolutely amazing..

7. Amanda Paa says:

i love that you made a sweet and savory version! i could just plan all of my meals for the week around this :) buckwheat forever….

8. Abby says:

These crepes are so lovely, Kathryn! Your sweet version looks delicious. That hazelnut fudge sauce!! <3 :D

9. Oh man, these crepes look amazing! Both versions sound amazing, I could seriously go for a ham and gruyere crepe right now.

10. I’m so glad you are a buckwheat fan – you have the best buckwheat recipes! These crepes are gorgeous. Chocolate and hazelnut fudge sauce?! Done.

11. Hooray for buckwheat pancakes/crepes/galettes! Love your hazelnut milk idea x

12. So I am convinced I now need to make a vegan version of these. They sound awesome – and the savory crepe idea is calling me. Can you believe I’ve never had a crepe?! I know. Baby steps, but I’m getting there, remember I just got over my loss of Trix ;). And look at chu all prepared for the pancake holiday, high fives.

Oh my gosh, these look incredible!!!!!! I can’t decide which version I want first, they both sound so fantastic. (Also, the English major in me is loving that you used “abstemious” — thanks for inspiring in all ways, literary and gastronomically!!) So lovely, Kathryn!

14. my family could love off of crepe alone – sweet, savory, or in between – these look amazing

15. mmm dreamy. I want you to know that after your buckwheat chocolate cookies (the ones you call your all-time faves) the other day, I promptly ordered a bag of buckwheat flour online. It’s been too long. I miss it. And I need those cookies! And these crepes! Thanks for ever inspiring.

16. Kathryn! It’s been too long since I last ate crepes! Last time was sometime last year! I think, it’s time to put some gluten-free crepe cooking in action soon….

17. More buckwheat-Yes! I am not sure which crepe I want to make first, but I know that sauce is going to be in regular rotation in my kitchen! Oh, and pancake day. I don’t know what it is, but I know I could get behind it!

18. Sini says:

Galettes are one of the best things ever, and I can’t wait to make these recipes. Especially the savoury version calls my name!

19. Your crepes look delicious! I love that you used buckwheat flour and that it’s such a simple mix that works for sweet and savoury – so perfect!

20. I’ve yet to work with buckwheat and I have never had the guts to make crepes. I know it really isn’t THAT hard, but something about it just intimidates me. This looks stunning, though!

21. Beautiful! I’ve never cooked with buckwheat flour, but I really want to try. I looooove lemon crepes, I’ll have to make these with lemon :)

22. I have crepes on my new year’s resolution list! Now is the time! :)

23. I would usually prefer sweet crepes over savory but ham, gruyere, and greens sounds delicious!

24. Renée Kemps says:

Totally agree that you had to make an exception. Love love love both versions and I can’t wait to try them out!

25. so happy this delicious meal is gluten free too!

26. Such a simple yet perfect recipe! I just printed it out for dinner some night this week :)

27. I love crepes of every kind! These look SOO good!

28. OMG these sound amaaaaaaaazing. I had an INCREDIBLE savory crepe during my honeymoon in St. Malo, France. It had smoked duck in it and a roquefort sauce I think …. crazy good. Both of these are right up my alley, flavor-wise.

29. Emma says:

These look absolutely beautiful! I’ve been meaning to make buckwheat crepes for ages – definitely my new go-to recipe.