gingerbread buckwheat muffins // london bakes

I’m quietly confident that today will be my last proper day of work for the year. Yesterday was my last day in the office until 2015 and I’m racing through my final to do list before we head to Vienna this evening for a weekend of Christmas markets and gluhwein and probably quite a lot of cake.

Then, we come home to celebrate my boyfriend’s 30th birthday before the Christmas festivities begin in earnest. We both try to save enough holiday days through the year so that we can take at least two weeks off at this time of year and we plan to enjoy every single moment of it.

gingerbread buckwheat muffins // london bakes

gingerbread buckwheat muffins // london bakes

Whilst we’re normally rushing around on Christmas morning itself and don’t often bother eating much, the days either side are prime for lazy breakfasts. I tend to be (marginally) better at getting out of bed in the morning than my boyfriend so I often spend the first hour of the day pottering in the kitchen, whipping up a batch of pancakes or pulling a tray of freshly baked muffins out of the oven. As much as I love spending time with friends and family at this time of year, I find that I need the peace and solitude of those quiet kitchen mornings too.

However/whatever you’re celebrating over the next couple of weeks, I hope that all of your days are merry and bright.

gingerbread buckwheat muffins // london bakes

gingerbread buckwheat muffins {gluten free}

Yield: 6 muffins

Having not had any luck with a couple of gingerbread-themed breakfast recipes recently, I happened upon Megan's recipe for gingerbread muffins on The Ktichn and knew I had to make them. Megan's cookbook, Whole Grain Mornings, is one of my favourites and has given me such great breakfast inspiration over the last year or so. I made a few small tweaks to both the recipe and the method and ended up with what may be my favourite muffins of the year.

• 120g (1 cup) buckwheat flour
  • 1 tbsp corn flour (corn starch)
  • 1 tbsp ground almonds
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
  • 1 tsp ground ginger
  • 1/4 tsp each of ground cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg
  • 45ml (3 tbsp) extra virgin olive oil
  • 60g (1/3 cup) dark brown sugar
  • 75ml (1/4 cup + 1 tbsp) treacle (or molasses)
  • 1 egg
  • 2 tbsp plain yoghurt
  • Crystallised ginger, chopped, to decorate (optional)

1. In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, ground almonds, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and the spices. In a separate bowl, whisk together the oil, sugar, treacle and egg.
  2. Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, stirring until just combined. Finally, fold through the yoghurt and allow the batter to sit for 15 - 30 minutes.
  3. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F (fan) and line a muffin tray with paper liners. Divide the batter between the muffin cases, top with a little bit of crystallised ginger and bake for 20 minutes until risen and firm to the touch. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack.

Vaguely adapted from Megan Gordon's whole grain gingerbread muffins
19 Responses to "gingerbread buckwheat muffins {gluten free}"

I think the.boy and I are going to get to spend Christmas Eve together, just the two of us and I am SO excited about it. We get to celebrate but without all the craziness of family! I love the idea of having muffins ready to go for a fun breakfast.

2. Sues says:

These are a great Christmas morning brunch food! I still have a few days of work left, but am seriously looking forward to a little break!

3. Enjoy your holidays, I love the look of these warming muffins for a weekend morning!

Such lovely words and such gorgeous muffins <3 I hope you have the best time in Vienna and a perfect Christmas, Kathryn!!

5. Happy Holidays! You paint such a pretty picture of your life — I feel like I’m there with you! These muffins look amazing, I love all things buckwheat.

6. todd wagner says:

I wish I had one of these lovely muffins right now to enjoy with my coffee. Have a wonderful holiday, Kathryn!!

7. We have some busy family times coming up (four events in two days with about 500km of driving all up – yikes!) so I find I need to retreat into the kitchen and just nourish myself with some quiet time too. I am sure these muffins will be well enjoyed for quiet after-Christmas holiday breakfasts when we are beside the sea and quiet again. Have a wonderful time in Vienna!

Hope you have a wonderful holiday! Vienna at Christmas time sounds magical. :)

9. Kimberley says:

I saw that recipe of Megan’s and immediately thought, can I make that gluten-free. You’ve answered that question! I love these; it’s such a clever idea in muffin form. And totally with you on that sweet balance of quiet alone time and big rush of friends time.

10. I’ve never tried buckwheat flour, but these photos make me want to try it! Yum!! I’m jealous that you’ll be in Vienna during the holidays… so beautiful!

11. Yummy Recipe, Thanks for sharing, I think its a perfect recipes for Christmas holiday.

12. Wishing you both a wonderful Christmas time!
    P.S. These muffins sound utterly delicious and perfect for the season.

13. Sophia says:

Vienna is top of my list of places to visit after my parents completely fell in love with it last year! I might have to ask you for tips if I manage to go there sometime in 2015! Love the idea of these muffins and they look perfectly fluffy, just like a good muffin should be. Wishing you a wonderful (and hopefully relaxing) Christmas break!

14. I have come over here via Kavey Eats, and I’m so glad I did. These Gingerbread Buckwheat Muffins look scrumptious, and so light. Have a wonderful time in Vienna. So jealous!

15. Vienna for Christmas? That sounds so lovely! Thank you for all of the beautiful gluten free treats this year-I hope for many more in 2015! Merry Christmas!

16. Kasey says:

Happy holidays, Kathryn. Thank you for all of your warm and thoughtful comments throughout the year. I look forward to more beautiful posts from you in 2015. xo

17. I hope you had a wonderful Christmas, Kathryn! I know I’ll be eating many batches of these muffins in 2015!

18. Elizabeth says:

Kathryn, these muffins look so comforting and perfect. I hope the holidays were good to you and that your time off was restful and/or fun. Our family spent the two weeks in complete idyll, and it was awesome. Cheers to a wonderful 2015!

19. Laura says:

These muffins are amazing. I’ve made three batches so far. Thanks for another fantastic recipe!