fig and almond torte | london bakes

I first made this torte while I was in France last month. It comes from Erin Scott’s book, Yummy Supper, based on her very popular blog of the same name. It can be hard to find fancy ingredients where were are and I don’t tend to have much enthusiasm for anything particularly complicated when I’m on holiday so, when I felt like making dessert for my family one night, this was the obvious choice.

I spent a lot of the holiday cooking from it – a pork and rosemary ragu that we gobbled up one night and which I’m planning to make again and again.  I made little beef and pistachio meatballs, slightly adapted from Erin’s kebabs, which we had one Sunday night, and then for lunch again the next day, with a salad and Erin’s bright lemon tzatziki.

fresh figs | london bakes

fig and almond torte | london bakes

In the introduction to the book, Erin describes her food as “simple goodness”.  This really resonates with me and, more and more, is the only way that I want to cook and eat.  The recipes are fresh and real. Like Kimberley’s book, everything is gluten free but not in a way that you would really notice.  And, as you would expect if you know Erin’s blog, the book is filled with gorgeous, vibrant photographs.

When I made this torte over the summer, I topped it with a selection of fresh berries from the market.  My mother liked it so much that the week after I went back to New York, she texted me to ask for the recipe so she could make it for a group of friends who were coming for lunch.

This is a slightly more autumnal version. The batter is infused with a touch of warming ginger and a layer of thinly-sliced figs is put on top pre-baking. The fig caramelises and becomes sweet and sticky, melting into the almond batter. A scattering of flaked almonds on top gives a little crunch (side note, you might have been able to tell that I’ve become somewhat obsessed with flaked almonds of late).

It’s a brilliant recipe from a brilliant book, congratulations Erin!

fig and almond torte | london bakes

fig and almond torte | london bakes

Some other bloggers have also been posting recipes from Erin’s book recently:

baked eggs on a bed of cherry tomatoes // sunshine soup // bali garden stew // grilled wild salmon, fennel and corn // millet crepes // honeydew granita // peach lassi with rose water and pistachios // creme fraiche caramel sauce

fig and almond torte {gluten free}

Serving Size: Serves 4

I made a couple of very small tweaks to Erin's recipe; namely swapping in ground ginger for the almond extract in the original but I think it would be equally nice either way. I have also doubled the recipe without issue, topping it was fresh berries and serving with ice cream.

• 75g (5 tablespoons) unsalted butter, browned in a pan over a medium heat and cooled
  • 150g (1 1/2 cups) ground almonds
  • 80ml (1/3 cup) honey
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla bean paste (or vanilla extract)
  • 1 teaspoon ground ginger
  • A pinch of salt
  • 2 figs, thinly sliced
  • Flaked almonds, to sprinkle on top

1. Thoroughly butter a 13" x 4" cake tin with a removable bottom (you can also use a 7" round tin if easier) and set aside. In a bowl, mix together the browned butter, almonds, honey, egg yolk, vanilla, ginger and salt until you have a thick batter.
  2. Spoon the batter into the cake tin and flatten to the edges with your fingers. Press the thinly sliced figs into the top and scatter with flaked almonds. Put the torte in the freezer for half an hour or so, until firm.
  3. Preheat the oven to 150C/300F and bake the torte for about 25 - 30 minutes until golden brown and firm to the touch. Allow to the cool in the tin before serving with creme fraiche.

Slightly adapted from Yummy Supper by Erin Scott

PS if you’d like to win a copy, head over to Kate’s blog where she’s giving one away!

I received a review copy of Yummy Supper: 100 Fresh, Luscious and Honest Recipes from a Gluten-Free Omnivore by Erin Scott from the lovely people at Rodale Press. Opinions are all my own.

29 Responses to "fig and almond torte from “yummy supper” {gluten free}"
  1. Lia says:

I have and love Erin’s book and I have so many recipes marked to be tested. I made the baked eggs already and they were fabulous and this torte sounds and looks like heaven!

I need that book. Huge lover of figs so this torte is blowing me away. :)

3. With figs on hand, I can’t wait to make this pretty dessert this weekend! :)

4. Wow, this cake looks gorgeous! I’m a big fan of the naturally gluten-free baking, rather than using all the crazy flours and xantham gum and other things that don’t sound like food. I don’t really bake gluten-free things for myself, but at work, we usually get requests for gluten-free cakes. Usually it’s not a problem, unless it’s gluten and nut free… Then it’s trickier and we have to break out the xantham gum.

5. Kathryn, BEAUTIFUL! It’s so fun to see you playing with the recipe! I often make the torte with grilled figs on the side, but I never thought to bake them on top… I bet they get extra sweet and juicy. And the ginger addition… yum!
    xoxoxo to you from Berkeley,

6. Looks perfect Kathryn!! I love the fig and almond combo!!

7. Joyti says:

I have the book also. This looks like an excellent recipe to try out :)

8. Ooohh yes. Your photos are especially gorgeous in this post, those figs look like little jewels!

Oh, this is too lovely! I’ve never had almonds paired with figs but now that I’ve seen them together, it sounds absolutely dreamy. And so beautiful with the figs baked on top! Love this so much — and Erin’s book sounds wonderful! I’m having visions of that pork & rosemary ragu. Thanks so much for sharing! :)

10. Lovely dessert! So decadent!

11. Medeja says:

Looks lovely! And I am sure was very delicious!

That book sounds absolutely lovely and the torte is just gorgeous. Almost too pretty to eat. (Not that I’ve ever let that stop me…)

13. This is so beautiful and I love how easy it is to make! The short ingredient list is lovely :)

14. This is so gorgeous – figs really have a wonderful color to them! Love that addition of grated ginger too…bet that gives it a great little kick to the tart.

15. This looks and sounds amazing, Kathryn! Figs and ginger are two of my favorite foods. :-)

16. Kristie says:

Oh, yes. I must have this book. Gorgeous photos!

17. Alanna says:

Oh wow, brown butter and honey and almonds and ginger and vanilla and figs, all in one recipe? Be still my heart! This looks superb. I’m a huge fan of Erin’s photography, so clearly I need to get my hands on that book, stat.

18. This torte look so gorgeous! Love all those flavors in it; the almonds, warm ginger, honey, vanilla… And to top all of that with figs *swoon* I’ve heard so many rave reviews on Erin’s book and I really can’t wait to welcome a copy of her book also in my small kitchen.

19. This sounds a such a great book- the strap line completely resonates with me too and sums up exactly exactly what I aim for each time I cook. It sounds as though you had a gloriously relaxing time in France,

20. I’ve made the torte from Erin’s book and it’s beautiful – especially love the idea of adding fruit with the changing seasons :-)

21. Karen says:

I am heavily into figs right now as I have a very prolific fig tree in SW France, and I may just take time out to make a version of this Kathryn, but not GF as there is no need! It looks and sounds utterly delicious! Karen

22. Kasey says:

Erin’s book has been a favorite around here — and we’ve made quite a number of meals from it. I cannot wait to explore it some more…figs are pretty much the best part about fall :) xo

23. Eva says:

I loved your torte I made it and I put it on my blog ! Thank you !

24. Caroline says:

Figs are one of my favorites this time of year. I wish they hung around a bit longer. I absolutely love this torte! The flavors of almond and fig must be awesome. Can’t wait to try this!

25. Anna says:

Just recently discovered figs, and now I’m pretty obsessed. I think I know what i’ll be baking next!