In this crazy world of internet friendships, it’s not often that you get to throw a virtual party for a baby bump that you’ve actually gotten to hug! Today, myself and a group of other bloggers have come together to celebrate Lauren, baker of some of the best brownies I’ve ever eaten and all round super lovely person, who is expecting a baby boy in a couple of weeks!

I first met Lauren a couple of years ago when I had dinner with her and Tara on a sticky August night in New York. Now that I’m based in Jersey City for a while, we’ve got to pick up where we left off and talk life and blogging and babies over ice cream.

Knowing (and sharing!) Lauren’s love of both chocolate and peanut butter, these little fondant cakes seemed like the perfect contribution to this mini sweet and savoury party!  They may look like a boring old chocolate brownie but the magic happens when you take a bite and the molten peanut butter oozes out.

There aren’t many things in life better than that. Except maybe having a baby.

mini chocolate and peanut butter fondant cakes {gluten free}

Yield: Makes 24 little cakes

Although these are best when just out the oven and the peanut butter is all melty, we continued to eat them for a couple of days and they were still delicious. They become more like brownies in texture, with a sticky peanut butter core. You can also pop them in the microwave to heat up although it's not quite as good as fresh out the oven.

• 200g dark chocolate, 70%
  • 100g (1 stick less 1 tablespoon) unsalted butter
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 egg yolks
  • 110g (1/2 cup) demerara sugar
  • 35g (1/3 cup) ground almonds
  • 1/2 teaspoon espresso powder
  • A generous pinch of salt
  • 24 teaspoons peanut butter, cold
  • Icing sugar, to sprinkle on top
  • Extra butter, for greasing the moulds

1. Preheat the oven to 190C/375F and grease a mini muffin pan well with butter.
  2. Slowly melt together the chocolate and butter in a heavy bottomed saucepan over a low heat, stirring all the time to prevent it catching. When melted, set aside to cool.
  3. Beat together the eggs, egg yolks and sugar until light and frothy. Whisk in the melted chocolate and then fold through the ground almonds, espresso powder and salt.
  4. Fill the mini muffin moulds just over halfway, then add a teaspoon of cold peanut butter to the middle of each and fill to the top with the chocolate mixture.
  5. Back for 8 - 10 minutes until risen and firm to the touch - if they're cooked all the way through, they should pop easily out of the tins whole (I do one to check when I think they're ready - if it collapses, it needs a little longer in the oven).
  6. Allow to cool for about 5 minutes, dust with icing sugar and serve.

Adapted from the April/May 2013 Donna Hay Magazine (you've probably seen the mouthwatering picture on pinterest - it was the cover image - although the recipe itself isn't online).

And here are the other delicious contribution to Lauren’s baby shower!

mini pumpkin layer cakes from the baker chick // mini apple spice cupcakes from dinners, dishes and desserts // mini nutella brownies from the cooking actress // mini iced oatmeal cookie apple pies from girl versus dough // pickles in a blanket from the lemon bowl // mini no-bake chocolate cheesecakes from bake or break // mini cookie cocktail from we are not martha // double decker birthday cake blondie bites from baker by nature // mini brown butter pumpkin cupcakes from eats well with others // roasted caprese stack with peaches from warm vanilla sugar // crunchy cookie butter m&m bars from the avid appetit // mini pumpkin streusel pies from espresso and cream

50 Responses to "mini chocolate and peanut butter fondant cakes {gluten free}"

These chocolate fondant cakes are absolutely gorgeous, and i love the surprise that they are filled with peanut butter instead of chocolate. Your photos are beautiful as always!

2. I love Lauren and I share the choc/pb obsession! These mini cakes are just INSANE-they look so gooey and decadent and intensely amazing!

3. Medeja says:

How adorable! I would love to try these.. though I don’t have mini muffin tin :/

4. You obviously know me so well;-) I am in LOVE with these little cakes and can’t wait to try them (you didn’t sneak them on the plan to JC with you, did you???). Thank you so much for this sweet post, Kathryn!

And hopefully I’ll get to see you again with my ever-growing belly before you leave!

5. These look so wonderfully decadent!!!

6. These are stunning! I especially love that peanut butter centre! So pretty :)

7. Sues says:

Whoa, I thought these were beautiful at first, but then when you cut into one, I fell in love even more :) I’m jealous you guys all live near each other!

8. Tieghan says:

Whoa that center is incredible! Congrats to Lauren!

9. I love the relationships blogging has created, they are the best, right?! I also just love these cakes, everything about them is just so RIGHT.

10. molly yeh says:

these look amazing!!!! i don’t think i’ve ever had a fondant cake before! congratulations to lauren!!!!!

11. Audra says:

Ooh these look like my dream! I am such a sucker for chocolate and peanut butter- I could devour the whole tray!!

12. These are so cute, and I love all the oozing peanut butter coming out. I would definitely eat a few of these at a shower!

13. Ann says:

Kinda of like a lava cake, only kicked up a few notches!

14. I am such a fool for chocolate and peanut butter. These look amazing!

15. Rachel says:

wow that melty peanut butter looks truly incredible!

Oh my gosh, these cakes — the shot of that squidgy, gooey inside just made me melt. They look so incredibly delicious. Yay for baby showers and yay for blogging friendships!!!! Congrats to Lauren!

17. Ohmygawd that last shot of the cakes oozing out peanut butter? Gimme, gimme, gimme!

18. Zainab says:

These looks so beautiful!!!

19. Chocolate + peanut butter + cake = IN LOVE WITH THESE.

20. These look insane! Probably the perfect dessert :)

21. Oh yes. Oh yum. One day you me and Lauren have to get together for that NJ ice cream!

22. Oh I know this flavor combination and I loooove it. Loooks super yummy as well.

These look amazing.. that melty center makes these even better. Congrats to Lauren!

24. Kathryn, you have truly surpassed yourself, these look EPIC! And I know Lauren loves peanut butter, so what better treat? Hope you’ll be back in London soon – I think you, me and Emma are long overdue a catch up xx

25. Dom says:

scrolling slowly down, drooling at the pictures and then that final picture with the peanut butter fondant oozing out… so beautiful… so naughty… I want it now!

26. I HAVE to try these! They look amazing!!! Just look at that peanut butter middle – drool!

27. Amanda Paa says:

these look uh-mazing! what a fun way to celebrate a new baby. hope you’re enjoying jersey city, xo.

Um, so we before you leave Jersey City, we HAVE TO MEET. For real.

And these are totally swoon-worthy. I want to lick that peanut butter center right off my screen!

29. Cuties! You know I love little baby things (and obviously anything that involves chocolate). These look perfect. Yay for Lauren!

30. Allison says:

I love the idea of a virtual baby shower! How cute. And these look SO good! Nothing better than chocolate and peanut butter. I can imagine them all warm out of the oven. Gorgeous photos too. I love the unmelted/melted chocolate photos–chocolate is a beautiful thing!

31. Karishma says:

These look soooo good! I am adding it to my to-do dessert list.

Congrats to Lauren!

32. Must have these now, they look incredible!

33. Look at these beauties! That center is absolutely perfect.
    Congrats, Lauren!!

34. Marie says:

Loving the idea of a virtual party! And the peanut butter, oh man.

35. Oh WOW! These just look utterly decadent and so divine- I’m sure they were a huge hit at the baby shower!

36. oh my – the oozing peanut butter is just too good. I don’t know Lauren personally but I can’t imagine she wouldn’t be in love with these!

37. Ashlae says:

Brownies with molten peanut butter inside? My mouth is literally watering. And I just got back from retrieving a peanut butter cup from the fridge because that last photo.. DAAAAYUM.

38. Can we talk about how amazing blogging is? You temporarily get stationed in Jersey, and you have instant friends because of the blog world! Gosh, I love this place!
    Also, these cakes look fab! Wish I could have dinner with all of you girls! xo

39. Oh My!! I have no other words.

40. Fiona says:

These look amazing! I think I might just have to make these this weekend. There’s always that danger of leaving them in the oven too long and then not having that gooey texture inside but these look absolutely perfect.