Last night I left the office just after 8pm and walked back to my hotel in the dark. I appreciate that the sun sets a bit earlier here than it does in London but still, it’s a sad day when you realise that summer is nearly over (that said, it is supposed to be 33C/91F today in Jersey City. I am, however, still wearing tights).

This summer has been a strange one. I feel like I’ve spent so much time travelling, both with work and with holidays, that I’ve hardly been aware of it passing.   There still seems to be so much that I want to do this summer – we’ve only had dinner on our balcony once all year! – and yet I’m rapidly running out of time.  What’s that John Lennon lyric?  Life is what happens to you while you’re busy making other plans.

I don’t really have much to cause to complain though; I’ve managed to fit in a whole lot of adventure into the last couple of months and I’ve eaten more ice cream than I ever thought was possible. It may not have been the summer I planned but that doesn’t mean that I haven’t made the most of every moment (apart from maybe last night when I skipped drinks and dinner with the team to watch three episodes of Chopped and eat room service but I personally think that was a pretty great way to spend the evening).

Since I got my waffle iron last year, I have been a loyal member of team waffle and have probably neglected the humble pancake. In truth, I’ve never had much success at making them and throwing a spoonful of batter into a waffle iron just seems so much more idiot-proof than faffing around with a frying pan and trying to flip things.

I am aware, however, that not everyone has a waffle iron and that, loathe as I am to admit it, sometimes waffles are just not the most practical solution. Enter the pancake. All you need is a mixing bowl, a frying pan and a source of heat and you are mere minutes away from a satisfying breakfast/lunch/afternoon snack/dinner/whatever.  After some experimentation, I finally got the balance right between the keeping-you-fullness of the hearty and wholesome ingredients (buckwheat flour, yoghurt etc) and the fluffiness that I want from a pancake to come up with what is now my own go-to recipe for whenever the pancake urge strikes.

I’ve also found that these pancakes freeze well which is no doubt one of the reasons that I end up eating them at strange times of the day. I tend to make a large batch, freeze the pancakes in a layer on a baking tray and then parcel them up individually. When I want a speedy pancake, I just put the oven on and pop a couple in for 10 minutes or so until they’ve defrosted and serve with whatever I have on hand (e.g. fresh fruit and yoghurt).  They also lend themselves to the inclusion of chocolate chips but, really, what doesn’t?

fluffy buckwheat pancakes with ginger peaches {gluten free}

This recipe has now become my go-to pancake recipe. The buckwheat flour and yoghurt give a suitable heft but without comprimising on the fluffiness which is so desired in a pancake. For chocolate chip pancakes, I like to throw in a small handful of chocolate chips as the first side of the pancake is cooking and try to push them in a little so that they get covered by the batter. Otherwise you risk slightly burning the chocolate and that is always sad.

For the peaches:
  • A knob of unsalted butter
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 2 firm peaches, stoned and sliced
  • For the pancakes
  • 190g (1 1/2 cups) buckwheat flour
  • 1 tablespoon corn flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • A pinch of salt
  • 120ml (1/2 cup) plain yoghurt
  • 240ml (1 cup) milk
  • 1 egg
  • 2 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled plus extra for cooking
  • Plain yoghurt and flaked almonds, for serving

1. I usually like to make the peaches first because there's only so much I can do at the same time. Heat the butter, sugar and ginger in a small frying pan over a medium-low heat, when the sugar has melted, add the sliced peaches and cook for a couple of minutes until softened. Set aside until needed (I keep them in the pan so I can heat them up quickly).
  2. To make the pancakes, whisk together the buckwheat flour, corn flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, sugar and salt in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together the yoghurt, milk, egg and melted butter. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and lightly whisk together until just combined; don't worry if it looks a little lumpy. You want a pourable/dollapable consistency but quite thick; depending on what type of yoghurt you use, you may need to add a splash more milk or flour. Set aside for 10 minutes or so and put the oven on low (unless you're going to serve the pancakes straight from the pan).
  3. To cook the pancakes, heat a knob of butter in a pan over a medium heat and dollop in 3 ladles of pancake - I usually make three at once. Cook for a couple of minutes until they start to bubble and flip over to cook the other side for a minute or so. When cooked on both sides, place in the oven to keep warm until you're ready to serve. When you're ready to eat, heat the peaches through and serve over the pancakes. Top with yoghurt and flaked almonds.
49 Responses to "fluffy buckwheat pancakes with caramelised ginger peaches {gluten free}"
  1. Yum! I love buckwheat in breakfast pastries like waffles and pancakes. Your trick about freezing the pancakes is absolutely genius — on the rare occasions I do make pancakes, I tend to try and eat as much as I can because most recipes make wayyyy too much. I then feel slightly ill afterwards and swear off pancakes for a good 6 months or so. Then it happens again. Womp. Hoping your freezing trick will end my cycle of glutton!

2. Joyti says:

I’ve noticed your ice cream adventures on Twitter. However, when you finally come to San Francisco, you can have the bestest ice cream evar-ever!

On the other hand, the pancakes sound delicious – ginger and peach? YUM YUM!!

3. Kathryn, how you’re managing to post while you’re working away from home is absolutely amazing! I’m really digging your fluffy buckwheat pancakes with caramelized ginger peaches…. yes sir that sounds so good.
    And I’m with you… Not at all ready for summer to be over!

4. Renée Kemps says:

This looks amazing and that balance between wholesome ingredients and fluffiness sounds perfect. And finding ways to freeze them, make them perfect for chocolate chips and other additions ánd make them a go-to recipe is fantastic. Really need to try this one out!

5. These pancakes look delicious. Perfect for brunch time!!

6. Lindsey says:

wow! these are the most fluffiest gf pancakes i’ve ever seen! and caramelized ginger peaches just sound amazing to top it all off! such a breakfast winner.

7. Kasey says:

I always feel this way about summer — but, but, but, BUT! And yet, you look back at all the adventures and realize you really were living it. These pancakes! Dear me. x

8. These look like the perfect buckwheat pancake. And you would not have to tell me twice about adding chocolate chips. I have a terrible habit of freezing pancakes, but then reheating them in the toaster, one at a time as needed (for snacking). Also, I am majorly jealous of your NYC summer!

9. molly yeh says:

yummm!!! i have a lot of buckwheat flour that i have not known what to do with! these are gorgeous. and ginger + peaches = a match made in heaven.

10. Wow! You weren’t kidding when you said fluffy – these pancakes looks so thick and delicious! Gosh I just want to ran, grab a fork and dig right in!

11. Tieghan says:

These are so pretty and I love buckwheaty things for breakfast!

I feel just like you about summer! Such a strange feeling to realize it’s almost September. I love the look and sound of these pancakes! My one gripe about pancakes is how quickly you get hungry again — I’ve been meaning to try a buckwheat version forever and ever. These look so amazing, plus those peaches are to die for. And I LOVE that you freeze leftovers! I never thought of that! This is wonderful all around, as always!

13. Hi! My summer is also being very unusual… I was used to running to the beach whenever possible, going to a all concerts and music festivals I could and making a roadtrip or travelling somewhere far, far away… Come to think about it… over the last five years, summer has been a pretty amazing time of the year. Now that I’m stuck with my master thesis amidst the mountains, having a summer like this seems like an idilic and utopic possibility. I totally missed summer this year!
    Well… enough talking about me. Your pancakes look so delicious that I am tempted to do a batch of them just for myself :) I really dig tall, fluffy pancakes. Hope the summer still lasts, because I want to do it before fall!
    Have a nice and summery weekend,

14. brandi says:

peaches + ginger = perfection. these look so delicious!

15. Amanda Paa says:

“Life is what happens to you while you’re busy making other plans.” — so true! these pancakes look perfectly fluffy. its obvious that you definitely worked on the recipe to get just the right balance. i’m happy that your summer is going well, fast, but you’re enjoying it. i love watching all your travels through instagram. and all those amazing ice cream places you’ve gotten to! and i’m glad you shared this recipe because i am one of those people who doesn’t have a waffle maker, *yet* :) xo

16. Laura says:

I’m in the same “life happening while you work/plan it all away” boat this summer. Just so busy with freelance, the restaurant, renovations and planning to do more work in the fall and whooooosh. It’s already the last weekend of August and the nights are so cool, and I think I only went swimming twice? Hoping I can slow down a bit this weekend and maybe fix up some pancakes similar to these. They look so fluffy it’s crazy, Kathryn! Just gorgeous.

17. Those are some fluffy pancakes! Pancakes are a key part of my routine on Sundays, but, I have to admit that I might like waffles a little more. Maybe because I don’t own a waffle iron and you always want what you can’t have…

I can’t believe the summer is almost over, I found I had to walk the long way home the other night after staying late at work as walking through the park was no longer an option! these pancakes look fantastic and I love the idea of ginger peaches.

19. Ooh, fluffy pancakes! These look amazing and I really like that you used buckwheat flour and yogurt in these ones making them more wholesome and filling. And what comes to summer, it always seems to pass too quick, although, I actually welcome fall with open arms. I guess I’m a girl of seasons. Goodbye strawberries (*sad face*), hello apples and wild mushrooms! Hope you have a great, not too stressful time in NYC! xo

20. These look so good! It’s winter, wet and rainy here (in Sydney) and those pancakes are just the thing to brighten up a dull day. Great tip about freezing them too. Thank you

21. These look so great! When you say corn flour do you mean corn starch? This is one of those confusing ingredients names and I never know which one to go for. And yeah, summer, where did it go? It’s been very autumny here ever since we got back from vacation, and I think I’m ready to put the duvets back on the bed! It’s nice to be going to bed in the dark again as opposed to June / July when it was sunny 20 hours a day, but I miss the warmth.

22. I love all your waffle posts but have to say this one gets my vote as I don’t have a waffle maker (yet). Plus those caramelized peaches, yum!

23. It’s crazy summer is almost over. I feel like I haven’t done very much either. There’s just always so much I want to cram into the short amount of time we have. The days are already getting darker :( these buckwheat pancakes are so fluffy and I love the fruit topping!

24. These pancakes look so perfect. I loved how you combined peaches and ginger for the topping, I would never think about such a flavour combo :)

25. I’m a ginger freak. I add a huge knob of it to my juice every day. And I’ve been super into buckwheat lately. I think these pancakes need to happen this weekend!

26. I love pancakes but Also belong to team waffle. In Sweden we celebraste the waffle day. Do you?

27. Monet says:

Pancakes are always an easy and delicious choice! Love how you combined ginger and peaches here. These look so fluffy. Can’t wait to try them!

28. Skye says:

Ha, I know exactly what you mean! I keep on thinking ‘where did the summer go?!’ and then worse still “where did the year go?!’. Am dreading winter… the cold, the tights and the short days!
    PS Caramelised peaches?! Too. Good. To. Be. True. Xx

29. Ilenia says:

I was searching for the perfect pancake recipe and found your blog. Now I’m making pancakes and reading all of your posts, discovering a new world. Thanks for sharing!

30. This looks amazing Kathryn! Can’t believe it’s september already – time has flown by!!

31. Ashlae says:

Being a loyal member of team waffle, I had a buckwheat waffle this morning topped with your caramelized peaches and it was outta this world good. HIGH FIVES, WOMAN! I’ve tried my hand at pancakes and didn’t have much luck, but I suppose I need to devote more time to pancake recipe development because yes.. not everyone has a waffle iron (WHAAAAT).

PS – Room service + good tv is ALWAYS a great way to spend an evening. Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise. ;)

32. Summer for me was all about ice cream too. This is such a lovely recipe, I love the ginger peaches topping.

I go back and forth on whether i love the pancake more, or the waffle. Impossible to choose. But you got some serious fluffy on these, so they are definitely a contender for favorite.

And yes this summer has been so speedy. TOO speedy. I disapprove.

34. Peaches and ginger are one of my favorite combinations, and this looks like SUCH a beautiful use of them. YUM!

35. those are the fluffiest buckwheat pancakes i’ve ever seen! well done. i’ll definitely be trying this soon.

36. Kristie says:

I love the idea of buckwheat and ginger. I can’t wait to try these, as I also have not had much luck with pancakes in the past.

37. I would switch, happily, from team waffle to team pancake if I saw these blithe deities!
    Summer always goes by too fast, if only I could say the same about winter… For now I will temper my sadness with dreams of peaches and ginger and fluffy pancakes. :-)

I just had to say that I made these and they were wonderful. I love all of your recipes.. and those peaches were incredible. Great recipe!

39. kat says:

just made these and they were the best buckwheat pancakes i’ve ever had! not sure that the ones in the freezer will even be in there long enough to freeze…

40. Karen says:

Just made pancakes this morning. Will have to make another batch with buckwheat. They look so fluffy. Prefer waffles, but I hate my waffle maker. Any suggestions for a good brand/model? Thanks!

• kathryn says:

Apologies for the delay in replying – I have a nordic ware stove top waffle iron made of cast aluminium (the kind you just place on the hob). It was a bit pricey (about £50 IIRC) but I really like it – easy clean up and waffles always come out great.