Welcome to the brand new London Bakes! I’ve been working with the very lovely and very talented Erin and Melissa at Wooden Spoons Kitchen over the last couple of months to (finally) move my blog over to wordpress and, in the process, give the whole thing a total makeover!

I’m absolutely thrilled with the result – it’s far, far better than I could ever imagined all thanks to the vision, hard work and endless patience of Erin and Melissa. They make a great team.

In addition to the new design, there are a couple of spiffy new features too (like a visual recipe index that will actually include everything and the ability to save/print all the recipes thanks to zip list) which I hope will make it easier to find and enjoy all of the recipes here.

As the site was getting updated, I thought it only fitting to give one of my favourite recipes a bit of an update.

A couple of years ago, I made some chocolate chip cookies from one of Heston Blumenthal’s cookbook. It was one of the few recipes that didn’t contain any hard-to-find ingredients or require the use of specialist equipment and I was intrigued as to how his recipe would differ from the many hundreds of thousands of recipes out there. They were, at the time, my favourite chocolate chip cookies. They’re a bit of a project as you have to make your own chocolate chips – swirls of chocolate truffle really – but the effort is more than worth it.

In the years since I’ve made them, I changed my approach to baking though and become more confident in experimenting with alternative ingredients and more wholesome substitutions, feeling my way through the world of wholegrain flours and natural sweeteners.  These cookies were ripe for a makeover.

These cookies use a mix of kamut flour and einkorn flour (both available in the UK from Dove’s Farm). It is one of my favourite blends at the moment – the kamut is buttery and smooth, the einkorn is sweet and mild – and is an easy substitution for plain flour. Coconut oil instead of butter gives the cookies a melt-in-the-mouth quality. The only coconut oil I’ve ever seen here is unrefined so there is a slight coconutty flavour to these but if you use refined, you won’t taste anything at all. Similarly, coconut sugar doesn’t really taste like coconut but has a rich toffee flavour that is like brown sugar but better.

So, new look cookies for a new look site. I hope you enjoy both of them!

heston’s chocolate chip cookies (updated)

Yield: Approx. 16 cookies

Now that I'm a bit more experienced with chocolate chip cookie recipes, I can see that the main way that the Heston recipe deviates from others it the fact that you add your fat (be it butter or coconut oil) cold and cream the ingredients for much longer than you would expect. And the whole making your own chocolate chips thing... Although it's a bit of a faff, the chocolate truffles can be made ahead of time and kept in the freezer until you want to make the cookies. Once you've tried the technique, regular chocolate chips just seem so dull. I've made these cookies with plain flour and spelt flour and they've worked fine so don't worry if you can't get hold of kamut and/or einkorn flour

• 60g (1/4 cup) heavy/double cream
  • 1 teaspoon maple syrup
  • 65g (2 1/2 oz) dark chocolate, chopped
  • 90g (1/2 cup) coconut oil, cold
  • 150g (1 1/4 cup) coconut sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
  • 125g (1 cup) kamut flour
  • 95g (3/4 cup) einkorn flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon instant coffee

1. To make the chocolate chips, bring the cream and maple syrup to a simmer. Place the chopped dark chocolate in a heat proof bowl and pour the cream over. Let sit for a couple of minutes until all the chocolate has melted. Let the mixture cool and then pour it onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. When the mixture has reached room temperature, put it in the freezer until solid. Once hardened, chop the chocolate into rough squares and then freeze until needed.
  2. To make the cookies, pre heat the oven to 180C/350F (fan). Cream the coconut oil and sugar together until light and fluffy - this may take a while as your coconut oil is solid. Add the egg and vanilla and keep whisking until incorporated. Add the dry ingredients and mix for 3-5 minutes until a dough is formed. At the last minute add the frozen chocolate chips and mix to incorporate.
  3. Place a ice cream scoop of dough (approx 40g) onto parchment paper with plenty of space around each cookie (I got 6-8 on a baking tray). Bake for 8-10 minutes until golden brown. Allow to cool on the baking tray before removing to a wire rack.

Adapted from Heston Blumenthal's Chocolate Chip Cookies

PS I know there are a few little things that need to be updated like a couple of dud links and the fact that a lot of the old posts aren’t properly formatted yet but I hope it won’t take too long to iron these little kinks out. Let me know if you spot anything major!

105 Responses to "heston’s chocolate chip cookies (updated)"
  1. Love, love love the new look! Its making me want a redesign too!

These cookies look divine! Can I ask where you buy things like coconut oil and sugar? Do you buy online or is there a magic coconut shop in London?

• kathryn says:

I do like the idea of a magic coconut shop… actually, I buy coconut oil at my local tesco express as they randomly seem to stock it! You can buy coconut sugar online but I’ve also picked up a few bags in Holland & Barrett recently. I’d imagine they’d also have coconut oil too although I haven’t looked for it. Biona is a good range – if you look on their website they have a list of stockists too.

2. Pru says:

The website looks great. I love the logo – the ‘bakes’ reminds me of the Thames.

And the cookies look delicious.

• kathryn says:

Thank you Pru, I love the logo too. As soon as I saw it, I knew it was perfect. I’d not noticed about the ‘bakes’ bit but you’re totally right. I love it even more now!

3. Hannah says:

I love your new design! And those cookies look pretty awesome as well :)

4. The new site looks GREAT! Congrats! And these cookies sound gorgeous too, and a little more wholesome.

5. Dom says:

website looks wonderful!… i’ve often thought about the move but I feel i’m kind of stuck in my ways now… cookies are gorgeous too… all round tis a win win!

• kathryn says:

Thanks Dom. I’m glad I take take the plunge, it’s good to have all the extra features and flexibility that wp offers. I have a few things up my sleeve that I want to try now I’m over here!

6. I LOVE the new design :) The colour scheme is so pretty!!!

A friend of mine just got back from a year from working at Heston Blumenthal’s The Fat Duck so I find it fun to see different versions of his recipes pop up on websites and blogs.

• kathryn says:

Thanks Antonia, the colours are one of my favourite things about the design! Also I’m so jealous of your friend, it must be an absolutely mind-blowing place to work.

7. Oh wow I’m in love with your new site!!! Beautiful. xx

• kathryn says:

Isn’t it gorgeous? Melissa did such a great job capturing everything that I wanted in a design (and more!). Thank you friend! xo

8. I love the new desgin. So fresh and I love the look of the delicious cookies!

9. Totally gorgeous cookies and as for the new site…I love it!! Absolutely gorgeous Kathryn :-)

10. Yay! Love this clean and fresh new look. Beautiful job by Wooden Spoons Kitchen! I’m so glad you’re moved over to WordPress now – I hope you love it :) I would love to celebrate with you with a batch of these delicious looking cookies! xo

• kathryn says:

Thanks Julie, it’s a bit of a change from blogger but I can see that it’s so much better. Melissa and Erin are brilliant aren’t they?

I love your logo.. Congrats on your new site.. and such delicious looking cookies. :)

12. Skye says:

L.O.V.E. the new site – you must be so pleased. And completely selfishly – I am thrilled with the easy to use recipe index and printing options…
    Am also now craving your cookies. Though given that they’re made with kamut flour and coconut oil – do you think that they count as a health food?
    Congratulations on the new look! x

• kathryn says:

Thanks Skye! I am thrilled with the new features too – so many times I’ve tried to print my own recipes and not managed it…lol. And yes, these are totally a health food ;)

13. Tieghan says:

The site look GREAT!! I am so excited because I am in the works right now with both Erin and Melissa for my own sight. Could not be more excited! The two are great!

The cookies sounds awesome and I cannot wait to give them a try!

Love the new look!!
    BTW–I finally stumbled across some buckwheat flour the other day and made your buckwheat flour chocolate chip cookies. Loved them!

Erin and Melissa do it again! It is seriously a masterpiece. Love the new logo and everything about the new site!!

ANd cookies. I always always always love cookies.

16. Gah!! The new design is super kick ass lady!! LOVE these cookies and LOVE the site! xoxo

17. Kezia says:

The new design is beautiful! You must be so pleased with it:) I have so many requests from family and friends to make sweet things that are gluten/refined sugar/dairy free and this recipe looks like it ticks a lot of those boxes, so thank you!

18. Grace says:

The site looks so so great! Congratulations!

19. Lindsey says:

Congratulations on the new site! Erin and Melissa are so talented– I love all of their work, and your is no exception :-)

I can’t wait to try these cookies–I’ve been playing with buckwheat and spelt flours, but haven’t yet tried kamut or einkorn. Plus coconut sugar AND coffee?! I’m sold on these cookies!

20. Alex says:

I love the re-design!

21. Congratulations! Everything is so beautiful, Kathryn [and Erin + Melissa!]. When blog feed aggregators + readers are the norm, it takes a lot for a reader to want to actually read the blog via the website. This one? This one is a winner. I absolutely love the update.

Cannot wait to make these cookies. You + Shanna from Food Loves Writing are my go-to’s on baking with alternative flours + unprocessed sweeteners, so I am already positive this cookie recipe will be so absolutely delicious.

these cookies look delicious and I love your use of alternative ingredients. Your new site looks beautiful! I love the design!

23. I love, love, LOVE your new design! The cookies look good too. :-)

24. These cookies look amazing, moist and filling! I’d definitely eat a couple more than I should. ;)

25. I love the redesign Kathryn!! It’s lovely! And so are these cookies!!

26. molly yeh says:

great new look!!! it’s so pretty, and i looove the color scheme.

i’m officially in the mood for chocolate chip cookies. i love the idea of using coconut oil!

27. Angharad says:

The blog looks amazing! Love the new look and how clean it all is. Love the adorable header/logo and really like the clean recipe format. Congrats – I’m sure it took a lot of hard work!

• kathryn says:

Thanks Angharad! It was pretty much no effort for me but I can’t thank Erin and Melissa enough for all their hard work : )

28. Ahh! I love-love-love your new look. And these cookies! What a way to welcome the new site ;)

29. The redesign is just so, so lovely Kathryn! And these cookies… NEED. :)

30. The new site is so gorgeous, congrats! And these cookies… that texture looks like perfection. I never would have guessed you updated them with healthier flours!

31. EEEEEK! I’m loving your new site! Simply stunning. Let’s celebrate and eat a big ol’ batch of these cookies!

32. sarah says:

Your site is gorgeous! I love everything about it. Yeah!!!
    And, there can never be enough chocolate chip cookie recipes. Never.

33. LOVE the new site design!! And these cookies are perfect to celebrate!!

34. The new site looks amazing Kathryn! So have you finally left the security blanket and gone self-hosted? Is it as terrifying as I think it is? I’ve not yet tried these cookies, but with this makeover I have no more excuses! Making your own chocolate chips does sound like a lot of work, but you can’t get chocolate chips here anyways so why not?! I’ll have to make a weekend project of it!

• kathryn says:

It’s terrifying because I have to fork over cash (and there’s always the possibility that it will go down…) but I like the freedom especially as I don’t really trust google to keep blogger running indefinitely…

35. Mondomulia says:

Congratulations for the new blog layout, it looks lovely! I love the colour palette!

36. What a wonderful design! I love everything down to your browser icon and all the other little details.

And what’s not to love about a chocolate chip cookie remix that uses coconut oil!

37. I love your new design, Kahtryn. It looks fantastic!
    Thanks also for this recipe, I appreciate how you completely changed it using new and healthier ingredients.

38. Kasey says:

I love the new design! Those two ladies are SO talented. Cookies are always the perfect way to celebrate, too. Can’t wait to dig through your new recipe index.

39. Joanna says:

Ah! Gorgeous! I spent so much time browsing through your beautiful archives. I love the layout and love your new header. Congrats!

• kathryn says:

Thank you Joanna, as soon as I saw the design for the header, I was sold. It’s definitely one of my favourite things about the design.

40. It’s wooooonderful! And I need those cookies, like, last year.

41. I love your new look. I am always looking for a new and improved chocolate chip recipe.

42. So pretty! Loving the new site, lady. :)

43. You know how sometimes you learn a new word and then suddenly you start seeing that word everywhere? That’s how I feel about einkorn flour. I just learned what it is and now I’m seeing it all over the place! That must be a sign that I need to make cookies, huh? :) And I LOVE your redesign–it is beautiful! I hope you’re liking WordPress!

• kathryn says:

Definitely a sign ;) Thanks for your sweet words Kiersten, wordpress is a bit of a shock to the system but it’s all worth it!

44. Your site looks great, makes me think I should update mine. Love that you chose this recipe because it didn’t have any hard to find ingredients….. Can’t think where I’d find kamut or einkorn flour in West Dorset but I guess I can go online – the cookies do look very good!

• kathryn says:

Hi Anna, I’d definitely look online or at health food shops (my local one sells both). If you have a waitrose near you, you might be able to find it there too? They’ve definitely starting stocking kamut flour in some of their shops recently.

45. Winnie says:

Your site looks so pretty! And these cookies look positively amazing…I really must try them :)

46. Ashlae says:

Lady lady lady! I love the new design. Navy and pink have always been one of my favorite color combinations ;) High fives to you and the WSK ladies on your new site – it is beautiful.

• kathryn says:

Thanks Ashlae! I’m a total convert to this navy/pink thing (is it weird that I’m already planning a nursery for our non-existent babies in this colour scheme??)

47. The site looks gorgeous! Congratulations on such a beautiful updated home for London Bakes.

48. Lovely, lovely redesign- it’s so pretty! And a great update to the cookie recipe, what interesting flours (*hurrys over to Doves Farm website for a closer look*)

49. Love the new look especially the colour combination. Very lovely

50. Sophia says:

Congrats on the new blog design Kathryn – it is so stunning! I love the colour scheme and love that it is a bit different. And yes, I totally noticed the cute browser icon as well, love that!

51. Kathryn, the new site looks Fabulous!!! Your old site was beautiful, so it’s hard to improve, but wow it looks great!
    And I really like your tweeks to chocolate cookies. I’m such a huge fan of coconut oil sugar – I bet the hint of coconut flavor is delish.

52. Grace says:

The blog looks beautiful!

Grace | polaroidsandpuds

53. Looove the new design! So incredibly clean and pretty! So exciting to get a new “home,” isn’t it? :)

One little suggestion: change the alt text so that when people pin the pictures, they see the title of the post and not IMG_1245. A lot of people are too lazy to change that. And it’s good for SEO! :D

And the cookies look awesome, too!