IMG_3109

There is something rather disconcerting about sitting down for dinner with a group of people who have been your friends for a decade (or more). That’s 10 years of friendship, right there!

There’s a special bond that you have with people who have seen you at your absolute worst – as my friends from university most certainly have. Through heartbreak and hangovers and all the angst of trying to work out what kind of person you are, we’ve always been able to go back and pick up where we left off. When one of number announced that she moving home to Spain for the next year, we couldn’t let her leave the country without marking the occasion in a suitable manner.

And for us, that meant cocktails, girl time and a 2am viewing of Clueless in our pyjamas while eating ice cream (and drinking water – sometimes there’s no getting away from the fact that you’re not 18 anymore).

I like to start these kind of occasions with a jug of something fruity and boozy. Quite apart from anything, it’s easy for everyone to help themselves which means that I avoid going into my slightly scary hostess mode, watching people’s glasses like a hawk so I can offer them a refill the moment they take their final sip.

I became rather partial to iced green tea when we were in California – I don’t really know why as it’s not like it really tastes of anything much. But if you add some rum, plenty of lime juice, a few sprigs of mint and a touch of sugar and you have a fairly dangerous drink.

IMG_3125

To go alongside the mojitos, I made a few of pan-Asian canapes (a fancy way of saying that I made whatever I felt like with scant consideration for the fundamentals of any particular cuisine):

I found the original recipe on the kitchn. The quantities given are for one glass. In order to make a pitcher, I used the juice of 6 – 8 limes, a couple of teaspoons of sugar and sprigs of mint, two cups of green tea and as much rum as I felt like, tasting as I was going so that I got the balance right. My later pitchers were definitely stronger as I became more generous with the rum but also sweeter as I got bored of juicing limes.

13 Responses to "green tea mojito"
  1. Katie (The Muffin Myth) says:

Ooooh, green tea! What a great idea! I do love a good mojito, and I’m quite partial to a just barely sweet version with cucumber and gin. Green tea opens up a new world of possibilities! I’ll definitely be giving this a try. Thanks for the recipe!

2. DessertForTwo says:

These look great! I love love love green tea. Add alcohol and it’s perfect! :)

3. “Through heartbreak and hangovers and all the angst of trying to work out what kind of person you are, we’ve always been able to go back and pick up where we left off.” Precisely how I feel about my best friends! I’m a big fan of mojitos and love this green tea variation. I think I tried it last summer and it’s about time to try it again!

4. nutmeggo0410 says:

Megan {Country Cleaver} That sounds like the perfect send off for your friend. And I can get into mad hostess mode too. It’s frightening, so I like your pour-your-own approach. Must better for everyone’s sanity.

5. Mmm, this drink looks so delicious! Totally making this the next time I’m with my longtime friends — they’d love it. :)

Stephanie @ Girl Versus Dough

6. Kathryn, do those look good, or what! I am a huge fan of both mojitos and green tea and the two together… yes please.
    xoxo
    E

7. That sounds like such a nice evening and I love the sound of your green tea mojito – looks delicious!

8. Ashley says:

I love sharing meals with old friends. Reading this made me tear up a little that it’s been so long since I’ve done a dinner with them! Getting on that! And I think these mojitos would be just perfect for, well, pretty much any meal. They’re gorgeous!

9. Julie @ Table for Two says:

these pictures are gorgeous!! it makes me want to pull a seat up next to you and sip on one while we chat :)

10. Jenny says:

These cocktails look incredible! I’m going to have to whip up a pitcher of these next time I have friends round!

11. Ah Clueless, that takes me back! Our chick flick of choice was How To Lose A Guy In 10 Days (I know, awful, but bet I’d still love it now) and those shared moments with girlfriends are so precious. I don’t make enough cocktails – need to remedy that by making this very soon!

12. Holy crap, thank you so much for posting this! It is gonna help me when I get green tea at the store! So Beautiful!