My mother often accuses me of not thinking before I act.

I’m pretty sure that all mothers accuse their children of this at some point in their lives.

I don’t think I’m the worst offender by any means (and sometimes I spend far too long considering the potential consequences of my actions until I drive myself mad) but I do have a habit of, for example, dumping my bag by the front door so that my boyfriend trips over it or shoving half opened packets of flour into a precarious gap in the cupboard so that the slightest movement sends it tumbling to the floor and coating my kitchen in a blanket of white.

The story behind these biscuits (I’m feeling English today) is a similar one of my thoughtlessness.

When we were in San Francisco back in the summer, I spent a few hours exploring the city while my boyfriend was doing something complicated involving spreadsheets and his fantasy NFL team. And by exploring, I really mean shopping and by the city, I really mean Williams-Sonoma.

Sadly, trans-Atlantic flights are not really conducive to carrying large amounts of kitchen equipment and so I focused my attentions on some of the perishable items that we could enjoy during our holiday. I alighted upon some really rather marvellous sounding chocolate covered caramelised graham crackers from Kika’s Treats and promptly bought several bags.

One bag was consumed in the safety of our hotel room. The other was to journey with us to Sonoma and was safely tucked away in my bag.

We got to Sonoma a few hours before we could check into our hotel and so we left the car at the hotel and wondered into the town to eat a lot of cheese and drink plenty of wine. After a few cold and foggy days in San Francisco, we reveled in a hot summer’s day in wine country. When we got back to the car, slightly the worse for wear, I realised that I had left my beloved biscuits in full view of the sun and they had turned into a soup of melted chocolate with little floating pieces of biscuit. Oh, I could have wept and I cursed myself for not stopping to think before leaving them unattended.

So, that is the tragic story of how I didn’t think before I acted and therefore didn’t get to eat as many chocolate covered caramelised graham crackers as I wanted. Living, as I do, in a country where the graham cracker is an unfamiliar beast, I knew I was going to have to take matters into my own hands if I wanted to rectify this sorry state of affairs…

Chocolate covered graham crackers

Yield: Makes 30 – 40 depending on size

Adapted from Miette: Recipes from San Francisco’s most charming pastry shop and inspired by Kika’s Treats

I’d had graham crackers on my mind since last summer and then I saw Melissa of The Faux Martha post a recipe that was adapted from the Miette cookbook. It is a very pretty book but one that I’ve always been slightly too intimidated to bake from so Melissa’s post was just the push I needed. I slightly played with the ratio of white to whole wheat flour as well as using a different type of sugar and a touch of treacle/molasses to try and replicate the caramelised effect that I was after. I dipped mine in milk chocolate because, try as I may, I still prefer it to the dark stuff but you can use whatever you want. They are not exactly the same as the ones I enjoyed in San Francisco but they’re not far off.

• 170g (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
  • 115g (1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon) muscovado sugar
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • 1 tablespoon treacle/molasses
  • 115g (1 cup) whole wheat spelt flour
  • 115g (1 cup) white spelt flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 200g (8 oz) chocolate of choice

Beat together the butter, sugar, honey and treacle in a stand mixer or with an electric whisk until smooth and fluffy.
Whisk together the dry ingredients and add to the wet in three batches, beating on a low speed until just incorporated.
Gather the dough together with your hands, roll into a flat disk and wrap in clingfilm.
Chill in the fridge for half an or so.
Preheat the oven to 160C/325F, line a couple of baking trays with a silicon mat or non-stick paper. Take the dough out the fridge and rest on the side for 5 minutes.
Roll the dough out between two pieces of non-stick paper until about 1/4 inch thick.
Cut out desired shapes and place on the baking tray.
Bake for 12 – 15 minutes until firm to the touch.
Allow to stand for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool.
Once the graham crackers are cool, melt the chocolate in the microwave or in bain marie. Dip the cookies in the chocolate and place on a wire rack until set.

54 Responses to "chocolate covered graham crackers"
  1. Ali Ebright says:

Graham cracker soup! Oh my. That almost sounds good. ;)

I feel you though. I am famous amongst my family for leaving things to melt anywhere — in the car, on the stove, out on the counter — you name it, I’ve probably melted it.

These chocolate covered graham crackers sound absolutely wonderful though!! Hope you enjoyed them thoroughly! :)

2. These remind me of McVites digestives. Best cookies ever!

3. Jenny says:

I was kicking myself when I came back from America that I didn’t buy any graham crackers whilst out there I was considering biting the bullet and ordering some online but I think I’ll give this recipe a go instead!

4. Lisa says:

love graham crackers…. every recipe I’ve ever seen calls for Graham flour….I thought Gram flour was the same thing… that was an interesting lesson learned… will have to give these a go!! Yum Yum!!

5. Erin Burke says:

Oh yum. Sometimes the simplest things are the most delicious. One of my favorite quick snacks is to melt some peanut butter and chocolate together and dip graham crackers into them. Although, I suppose it’s quicker for me since I can get my graham crackers at the store. ;)

6. Kathryn says:

Now that you mention it, it does sound pretty good ;)

7. Kathryn says:

They’re not unlike a digestive it’s true. Now I really really want a digestive.

8. Kathryn says:

I don’t know how close these are to traditional graham crackers but they’re too delicious for me to care much!

9. Kathryn says:

Oh dear…yes gram flour would make for a very different cookie. In the miette cookbook (maybe…or somewhere else), the author says that they don’t like using graham flour as it’s too rough and heavy and that whole wheat is a better substitute.

10. Kathryn says:

That sounds dangerously good…

11. Sophie says:

Ahh I’ve been dying to make graham crackers since we went to NY last Summer. I wish they more readily available here but making them is the next best thing. I would totally have eaten a whole bag of those.

12. Oh no, what a waste of wonderful biscuits! But at least it inspired you to make your own, which look wonderful :-)

My Mum once did an Easter egg hunt for us on holiday in Antigua. She hid them all round our hotel room but some (unbeknownst to me) ended up in my beach bag. I went to the beach and the rest is history – a chocolate mess very similar to yours!

13. Yeah that’s something mothers have to do, right? A right of passage or something.

I love these, Kathryn! They remind me of a childhood favorite but I much prefer a homemade version!

14. Dana Shultz says:

WHAT? This is bad ACE. Nice work, friend!

15. Bev @ Bev Cooks says:

These are only slightly fabulous.

16. nutmeggo0410 says:

I would totally cry myself to sleep at night after melting the prized grahams and chocolate. So relieved for your sake that you found a homemade substitute to get you through the withdrawls :) And now I think I need them too.

17. realistic nutritionist says:

simple easy and delicious.

18. Laura says:

Ah, bravo to you for recreating that stunning treat, Kathryn. I too have foolishly left meltables in a hot car. A large package of M&M’s comes to mind… We refrigerated the whole mess afterward and had M&M bark for days. Live and learn, right? ;)

19. Julie @ Table for Two says:

haha, honestly, i probably would’ve done the same thing as you – my mother accuses me all the time of not thinking before acting either :) awesome job at recreating them!! it’s probably better that way anyway since now you can always remake it and have it forever :)

20. sarah kieffer says:

My mother was frequently annoyed with me for the same thing – I have a tendency to leave things everywhere and forget things everywhere. Now it drives my husband crazy.

Your graham crackers are lovely! I made some from Kim Boyce’s book a few weeks ago and love them, but never thought to dip them in chocolate…

21. Katie (The Muffin Myth) says:

Mmmmmm, chocolately graham goodness. I used to melt chocolate chips on graham crackers as a snack. Sadly, neither graham crackers or chocolate chips exist where I live now. But! I can make graham crackers and I can melt a bar of good quality dark chocolate, right? Do you have access to graham flour? I think (though I’ve never tried) that it gives a more graham crakery flavour and texture than regular whole meal flour. I keep meaning to buy a bag and try it out.

22. www.lardersaga.com says:

Yum yum – the ‘little people’ would love these – but alas we have a pudding ban due to serious naughty behaviour. Looks like I’ll have to make and eat them under the cover of darkness.

23. i love graham crackers! they make the best base for cheesecake. your recipe sounds lovely! i can’t wait to try it out! m x

24. I completely would have eaten the melted chocolate:-) These look fantastic!

25. Ashley says:

I have been a graham cracker lover all my life! These look beyond delicious. Cute story. :)

26. amy donovan says:

I had no idea that graham crackers weren’t commonplace in the UK! Love your homemade, chocolate-covered version of ‘em. Just make sure not to leave ‘em by a sunny window again. =) (which, by the way, i’ve done more than i’d like to admit!)

27. Kathryn says:

Haha, I actually did that with these after I’d photographed them and forgotten to put them back in the fridge!

28. Kathryn says:

Aw, thanks Ashley. My next task is a gluten free version!

29. Kathryn says:

If it hadn’t been a relatively fancy hotel, I so would have ;)

30. Kathryn says:

Oh yes! I’ve got some left over so maybe that’s what I’ll try with them next :)

31. Kathryn says:

I would follow support that decision!

32. Kathryn says:

I’ve never seen graham flour here – I was going to bring some back last summer buy my boyfriend convinced me that carrying a bag of flour on a transatlantic flight was a recipe for disaster. The Miette cookbook specifically says not to use graham flour though because of the texture and the cookies I was trying to recreate don’t use it either so I’d be interested to see the difference.

33. Kathryn says:

M&M bark sounds like a pretty good idea actually ;)

34. Kathryn says:

Exactly! Although I was using it as an excuse to go back to San Francisco soon ;)

35. Kathryn says:

They are pretty good on their own but I can’t think of many things that aren’t improved by being dipped in chocolate!

36. Amy Johnson says:

I’m well past the age where I should know better about thinking before I act, but I can’t say I’ve grown a whole lot in that area. ;)

These look perfect!

37. Graham Crackers are such treat. And there’s nothing better than homemade. Kathryn, yours looks incredible… with all that melty chocolate. Yum!

38. Ashley says:

Ha! My mom accuses me of the same :) these biscuits look brilliant, girl!

39. Senka says:

Hi,

We’ve recently launched the website Alldishes.co.uk. It’s a search engine that aims to gather all the best recipes from UK and Irish websites and blogs. We’ve noticed that you have a lot of great looking recipes on your blog that we would love to feature on our site. To read more about how it all works and to sign up with your blog, please visit: http://alldishes.co.uk or send us an email on info@alldishes.co.uk. We look forward to hearing from you!
    Kind regards,
    Senka

40. Caroline says:

What a perfect little treat!

41. The Café Sucré Farine says:

Hi, just discovered your lovely blog! These look wonderful. I love the way traveling inspires new culinary delights!

42. brandi says:

i’ve always wanted to make my own grahams, too, and this is the perfect reminder for me! and i totally do the flour bag thing, too.

43. Kathryn says:

I think it’s far more fun not to grow up!

Thanks for your comment Amy :)

44. Kathryn says:

Thank you Erin! The cookies are pretty great by themselves but I can never resist dipping things in chocolate if I can!

45. Kathryn says:

Haha, I’m glad I’m not the only one!

46. Kathryn says:

Thanks Caroline : )

47. Kathryn says:

Thank you! I look forward to checking out your blog : )

48. Kathryn says:

No matter how many times I get covered in flour, I never learn!

49. I am first of all, in AWE that you made your own graham crackers, you rockstar you!! Awesome stuff. Second of all…how have I never thought to make chocolate-covered grahams. Doh!

50. Laura says:

These look delicious! Almost reminds me of a version of chocolate digestives (my favorite).

51. Amazing! Sorry that you couldn’t eat them all! I’ll just have to make up for your loss and eat double for you :)

52. These graham crackers look amazing, Kathryn. Time to find some chocolate and marshmallows to stick between them! Hope Sonoma was lovely for you… It’s one of my favorite places to travel!

53. Antonia @ Health Inspirations says:

I’m making these today to go with my afternoon coffee :) I just love how you’ve used spelt flour. It’s one of my favorite flours to bake with! Hope you’re enjoying your weekend!