IMG_2588

We keep talking about things that will happen when we move. Whilst the weeks are slipping from me, lost in a blur of meetings and telephone calls and spreadsheets, I feel like our lives are on hold.

I’m gradually un-stocking the kitchen and trying not to panic when I see the empty shelves. I wander from room to room, mentally making a list of what we are and aren’t going to have a place for in any new flat. I spent far more time than anyone should debating whether I should buy some more loo roll or if we have enough to last us until we move. There’s always that phrase ‘until we move’, ‘when we move’.

Which is slightly ridiculous as we’re unlikely to be moving any time before the start of the summer.

And then, there’s everything that I think is going to be different when we move. I will keep our new flat tidy – I won’t leave shoes scattered throughout the flat. I’ll make the bed every morning before I leave for work. We won’t ever get to the end of the week and discover that we’ve run out of clean underwear because we forgot to do the washing.

I have a picture in my head of what life is going to be like when we move. I know the reality is not going to be anything like that. Realistically, there are plenty of things that are never going to change about me and about our lives. We’re still going to spend our evenings, curled up on the same sofa together we are here, our same blue and white plates balanced on our knees. Moving house doesn’t make you any more of a different person than the start of a new year or getting a haircut does.

It’s liberating though, to think that maybe I can use the move as a catalyst for some smaller changes in my life. I like to make a lot of what we eat from scratch (within the confines of the practicalities our jobs and lives demand) but I’ve got lazy in the last couple of months, affected by the same ennui that makes me reluctant to do anything that doesn’t involve looking at floor plans online and trying to decide what colour curtains might work in our hypothetical new bedroom. When we move, I hope that we can get into some better habits. Starting, of course, with chocolate.

Cashew butter cups

Yield: 20 – 25 cups

I’m certainly not the only person to have made these or a variation of some nut-butter filled chocolate cup. Shanna posted some delicious looking peanut butter cups last year and I’m not sure I can stop thinking about these salted caramel peanut butter cups since I saw them before Christmas. Because cashew butter is quite rich and creamy, and because I was using a mix of milk and dark chocolate, I decided not to add any sugar to the filling which was definitely the right choice because they are the perfect balance as they are. I used a touch of coconut oil (which you can’t taste at all) to firm up the filling a little – I’m sure butter would also work if you prefer. They are difficult to stop eating but curiously satisfying.

• 140g (2/3 cup) cashew butter (you can make your own if you prefer)
  • 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 200g (8oz) chocolate (I used a mix of milk and dark but you can use whatever you prefer)

In a small pan, melt together the cashew butter, coconut oil, vanilla and salt and stir with a wooden spoon until smooth. Set aside to cool to room temperature while you make the chocolate cups.
Set out 20 – 25 mini cupcake cases on a baking tray.
Melt the chocolate in a bowl over a pan of barely simmering water.
Using a teaspoon, coat the bottom and the sides of the cupcake cases all the way to the top (this should use about half your chocolate). Chill for 10 minutes or so until firm to the touch.
Add a generous teaspoon of the cashew butter to the cups and top with another teaspoon of chocolate, allowing it to spread to the edges of the cups. You might need to quickly warm the chocolate again if it starts to go a bit hard.
Chill the cups again until the chocolate is firm. I find these do better in the fridge because my cashew butter was fairly liquid.

52 Responses to "cashew butter cups"
  1. wow, do these look delicious. i love the idea of cashew butter, i’ve never tried it! i’m constantly thinking of when we’ll move too, (not until next winter) but it’s still fun to dream!

2. Antonia @ Health Inspirations says:

This is such an exciting time for you and I love hearing everything about the move. Will you be staying in London though? These cashew butter cups sound delicious. We all love Reese’s pieces and my co-workers are thrilled everytime I bring them to the office. Now I can make a healthier version myself….yet another “London Bakes” treat at the office.

3. These look wonderful! I have never tried cashew butter, will have to rectify this soon.

Best of luck with the move, I have moved 6 times in the last 8 years… Hopefully wont be again for a while! Although I do love putting my stamp on a new place.

4. Kathryn says:

Definitely still in London, we’re hoping to move about 100 yards up the road!

5. Kathryn says:

That’s what I’m most excited about, I’m spending a lot of time looking on pinterest for inspiration! I haven’t moved for about 6 years though so I’m not looking forward to the whole process…

6. Kathryn says:

7. Jenny says:

These look delicious I love nut butter cups! your move sounds so exciting! I’ll keep my fingers crossed that you get the place you want!

8. Julie @ Table for Two says:

I’m the very same way as you. long before we moved from our apartment to our house, i kept packing up everything. i just hated the thought of moving so i think i felt if i packed everything up, we’d move faster. it only stressed me out more :) i need to find cashew butter. it’s jason’s favorite nut and i think he’d go insane if i made these cashew butter cups for him – i love that the dark chocolate envelopes it!!

9. Sophie says:

I know exactly what you mean, we will be moving this year and whilst I don’t know quite where or when yet I have all these ideas in my head of what we will do differently. However we will probably eb exactly the same. I’ve never tried cashew butter but I feel like this would be a good place to start.

10. I love the truth in this. Isn’t it funny how we build up things in our mind just to come to realize that we will most-likely never change those certain things? And it’s just quite alright. I hope the move and transition continues to go smoothly!

11. brandi says:

moving is so exciting and so overwhelming at the same time – i hope everything goes well! if you’re stocked with these little treats, i think everything will be fine :)

12. reese’s go glam! love this! and definitely trying it out soon. but that will depend on how long my nut butters last. i find i eat them straight from the jar with a spoon!

13. Erin Burke says:

Oh I completely understand! Moving can definitely make things feel on hold…
    I love the way these look! I love that they are in their own little tins.

14. Katherine says:

That’s me all over! Grand plans about how perfect I will be in the next house. I trust you have observed my perfect adobe…

15. Bev @ Bev Cooks says:

Oh my word. These are absolutely gonna be in mah dreaaaaams.

16. Shanna says:

I love the idea that one change can be the catalyst for many others — here’s to the new and exciting days ahead, Kathryn!

17. sophiareal says:

I hear you on the moving front – it is always such an exciting process but daunting at the same time! I am like you in that I start packing really early, although there is always a last minute rush (maybe because I subconsciously then try to delay moving by dragging out the packing process?).

At least you have these beautiful little treats to enjoy through all the stress. Dare I see these sound better than actual reese’s cups?

18. Emilia says:

Good luck with moving! While I’ve never properly moved, the two times I’ve had to completely vacate and clean my university accommodation were daunting enough to make me dread the real thing. I understand what you mean about changing location as a catalyst for new habits. In my experience, it works well and I wish you the best of luck. These cashew butter cups look like the perfect treat to help you through such a strange time :)

19. lee shu-han says:

good luck with the move! it’s exciting yes, but really scary at the same time. to be honest, I hate hate hate moving, I get so comfrotable with a place and form attachments I would be at a loss to find cupboards empty etc. anyway looks like you’re doing well, what with finding time to bake even :) haven’t been here in a while but thought of dropping by :) take care!

x shu

20. Alice says:

I have the exact same mindset- I’m starting a new job in a couple weeks and I keep saying to myself “when I’ve started my new job…” I’m not convinced it will actually change anything, but fingers crossed it will make me sort myself out a bit.

Serious good luck with the move though, and the cashew nut butter cups look INCREDIBLE! x

the-cup-and-saucer.blogspot.com

21. Kaleigh Aubry says:

this is SO on my bucket list of things to make! dee-lish.

22. Best of luck with the move!

23. Laura says:

Ah, there is so much hope in starting something new, the idea of becoming a better version of yourself. I think this is all very viable when a big life change comes. Hope you’re enjoying these moments in that in-between phase, Kathryn. These treats sound so perfect. xo

24. I know exactly what you mean. When we moved a couple of months ago, I thought so! many! things! will change! And some things did, but a lot didn’t. But I think, even though only a few changes stuck, it was all for the better. And the things that didn’t I’m OK with staying that way (like not making the bed every day… sometimes it’s just not practical :)).

All that to say, these cashew butter cups? Definitely a good habit to start. :)

Stephanie @ Girl Versus Dough

25. Ashley says:

Sounds like you have a very full mind these days! Moving does that to you. I’d definitely take comfort – and joy! – in a few of these gorgeous cashew butter cups.

26. Elizabeth says:

You are so honest and it is refreshing! I laughed more than once about “when we move” because I was the same, and you are right nothing really changes. In fact I think I may have slipped a little into new bad habits, oh well. I did start a blog and I am now experimenting with new recipes.

Love the idea of cashew butter, I have never used it. I cannot wait to try these.

Take care and enjoy the weekend, Elizabeth

27. I hope the move is treating you well!

And these cashew butter cups look completely addicting. I’ll have 5 please :)

28. Chocolate is the best place to start! I know that feeling of starting new things… I remember at school I’d keep my books neat for about 2 weeks after the start of term then all the bad habits would wash back in… So exciting about your big move and as for these? Yum.

29. Kathryn says:

Thanks lovely – I hope you guys are settling in to your new place!

30. Kathryn says:

You are, as ever, my role model in life.

31. Kathryn says:

Ha, this is totally going to be a last minute rush! I’ve never yet managed to move without one…

32. Kathryn says:

I actually found moving out of my university accommodation the worst of all but that probably says more about the chaos that I lived in than anything else…

33. Kathryn says:

Good luck with the new job!

34. Kathryn says:

You should definitely make them – they’re surprisingly easy and I was impressed by how well even I with my incompetence could manage them!

35. Kathryn says:

Thanks Laura, I probably do need to enjoy these moments more and not get lost in my visions of the future.

36. Kathryn says:

Thank you for such a lovely comment :)

37. Kathryn says:

Thank you, it’s such a stupidly slow process in this country!

38. Kathryn says:

Cashew butter is really lovely – smooth and mellow. I hope you give them a try!

39. Kathryn says:

Isn’t it just?! Thanks Brandi!

40. Kathryn says:

Definitely! I do have such a soft spot for Reese’s but it’s nice to change it up every now and then :)

41. Kathryn says:

Yes & I often think those kind of organic and natural changes are the changes which stick. Thanks Shanna – I always so appreciate your support.

42. Kathryn says:

They really are! I’m so glad I’ve finished my current stash of them…

43. I can so relate to your feelings about moving. No matter how far away the moving date, it influences our way of thinking about the most ordinary things. These cashew butter cups look like a marvelous distraction from it all. Yum.

44. sarah kieffer says:

These look amazing! Your photos are gorgeous, I’ve been enjoying seeing them pop up all over Pinterest. Also, I totally gave you an American smile when you mentioned a loo roll. ‘That’s so cute! I thought! A loo roll!’ And, I don’t know what an American smile is. :)

45. These sound lovely! Good luck with the move, I said when we bought our own house that would be the last move for us… then 4 years later we decided to not only move house, but countries too! There is something lovely about starting afresh though, once all the moving has been done. xx

46. Such a lovely little treat for Valentine’s Day. These look delicious and perfect for sharing with my Valentine. Wishing you the best of luck with changes to come.

47. I hope this whole moving thing will be over with soon enough. I know you said summer, but at least some things will be gotten out of the way by then (what awful sentence structure!)

I have no idea why making cups like these never crossed my mind. Especially when I’ve really wanted mini Reese’s peanut butter cups. How silly of me. I can just make them this way!

48. Jenny Hartin says:

“When we move” is said more times around my house now than “lift the lid and aim”. We have been in this moving limbo for almost a year now – the house is finally on the market (one week) and the first open house was very busy 23 families! I just want it OVER! The cashew butter cups look lovely! xo

49. Aimee says:

Great recipe…. can’t wait to try this as I am allergic to peanuts and use cashew butter instead…,thanks for your input!!!!!