IMG_6474-2

Today is a very special day, my friends!  Today we are throwing a surprise virtual hen party for Megan of Wanna Be a Country Cleaver!

Megan is utterly adorable and she is marrying her favourite man in just a couple of weeks.

One thing I know about Megan, apart from how she lights up every virtual room that she enters, is how utterly obsessed she is with all things English. For that reason, today celebrations will be referred to as a hen party, as we call it in England, rather than a bridal shower. English things are so much more fun aren’t they?

Due to Megan’s love of this fair isle, I knew I had to bring something traditionally English along for her hen party.

Eton mess is a proper English pudding. First eaten at Eton College, former school of Princes William and Harry, on the 4th June to mark the start of the summer. In the great tradition of English desserts it is, basically, a creamy, sloppy mess of a pudding. Strawberries, infused with a bit of booze (this is a party after all) are muddled together with whipped cream and crushed meringue. It’s a little bit bonkers, as you might expect, but that’s part of its charm really.

You can just dump it in a bowl but I decided to serve it in fancy shot glasses (I say fancy, what you can’t see is the other side of the glasses which have pictures of cowboys in various states of undress which, now I come to think of it, would have been very fitting for a hen party).

If eton mess doesn’t float your boat, my lovely co-hosts have brought along some equally tempting dishes.

If you want to get the party started with something savoury:

Heather of Farmgirl Gourmet brought Devilled Eggs
Gina of Running to the Kitchen brought Cheesy Edamame Crostini
Kristen of Comfortably Domestic brought Caramelized Onion & Goat Cheese Puffs
Tina from My Life as a Mrs brought Easy Bacon Cream Cheese Roll-Ups
Rachel from Baked by Rachel brought Sausage and Red Pepper Stuffed Mushrooms
Alison from Decadent Philistines Save the World brought Retro Cheese Cookies
Michelle from A Recipe Junkie brought Melon and Prosciutto Salad
Jeanne from Inside NanaBread’s Head brought Greek Salmon Wraps

If you fancy something sweet:

Julie from Table for Two brought Mini Cherry Pies
Lauren from Lauren’s Latest brought Summer Strawberry Jello Pie
KimBee from Cravings of a Lunatic brought Red Velvet Ice Cream Cupcakes
Kat from Tenaciously Yours brought Good For You Bars
Mads from La Petite Pancake brought Cheesecake Stuffed Strawberries

And if, after all that, you need a drink:

Laurie from Simply Scratch brought Blueberry Lemonade Spritzers
Cassie from Bake Your Day brought Lemon-Berry Granita with Balsamic and Basil

So many congratulations to Megan! I hope you and Ben have a wonderful day and have many, many happy years together.

Eton mess
Yield: 8-10 shooters

• 200g (8 oz) strawberries, roughly chopped
  • 1 tablespoon raspberry liqueur
  • 1 teaspoon caster sugar
  • 240ml (1 cup) heavy/double cream
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
  • 2 meringue nests, crushed.

Place the chopped strawberries in a bowl with the liqueur and the sugar. Stir to combine and leave to stand for 10 minutes.
Whip the cream and the vanilla bean paste together with a handheld whisk or in a stand mixer until soft peaks form.
Fold the strawberries and crushed meringue through the cream and divide between glasses.

43 Responses to "eton mess"

Your food styling is absolutely stunning! I love the use of shot glasses – they’re so sweet!

2. bakingbeardy says:

I LOVE Eton Mess. Absolutely delicious!

3. Yum! Eton mess is one of my favourite puds ever and I love the addition of raspberry liqueur. Will definitely be adding a cheeky shot of that to my recipe next time :-)

4. I love that you guys did this! You’re wonderful friends. I’ve actually never had Eton Mess, though I’ve had pudding. But I always wondered the story behind the name and now I have no excuse not to try it!

5. Andrew's Mom says:

I think someone should start eating that “mess” so we can see the cowboys undress :-) Congratulations Megan and well done girls!

I had no idea that eton mess was traditionally British. Love how they look in those glasses!

7. Rachel Cooks says:

Hen Party. Hehe-I love you Kathryn! And I love this tastiness that you created!

8. katherine says:

LOL at the cowboys. You can’t beat a bit of cream and meringue.

9. Rachel says:

These look fantastic! I also love that I now have so many more awesome food blogs to read now x

10. Ohhh yes please! Kathryn these look absolutely amazing! Can I have two?

11. Oh, Kathryn… Megan is going to faint! She does indeed cherish all things English, and these are the perfect dessert for her shower. Your photos are gorgeous. I’d heard of Eton Mess, but never knew what it consisted of. Now that I know, I want some! So happy you are part of Megan’s Hen Party. She’s going to love this!

12. love that you brought a traditional english dessert to the virtual party, but modernized it by serving it in shot classes – looks wonderful!

@Jenny – Thank you so much! The white balance on the photos went a bit crazy but hopefully the styling makes up for it a bit :)

@bakingbeardy – I’m not a big fan of anything too creamy but these mini-portions are perfect for me. Plus I do love anything involving meringue.

@thelittleloaf – It adds a nice little boozy touch I feel, besides eveything’s better with a little kick!

@Jen – It’s such an easy dessert but so delicious, you should definitely give it a go!

@Andrew’s Mom – Best comment ever.

@Erin – Thank you! It’s such a cute way to serve something for a party :)

@Rachel – Haha, I thought you would like hen party!

@Katherine – It’s a dessert and a game all in one.

@Rachel – Oh good, I’m so glad to have been able to introduce you to some of my blogging friends!

@Laurie – Of course! They’ve got fruit in, they’re healthy ;)

@insidenanabreadshead – I thought I needed to bring a bit of Englishness in, so glad to get to know your blog through this fun too!

@Amy – Thanks lovely! Built in portion control as well ;)

14. These are so beautiful! Love it, and love the bridal shower love!! :)

15. Megan Pence says:

Oh Kathryn, You know me so well! Lover of all things English, adorer of The Wales Princes (and Catherine, of course.) and anything in a shooter glass with cowboys in various states of undress. You speak to my soul.

Thank you, Kathryn. This is absolutely gorgeous and I’m overwhelmingly hungry. You girls have gone above and beyond. I’m stretching my arms across the pond in a huge, awkward, gangly, hugging fashion haha. XO! Megan

16. Kim Bee says:

I am completely in love with these little beauties. I must try these. I love the pictures and would probably want to horde all the glasses for myself and not share. I wish we could have all met in person to throw this. Now that would have been a party.

17. A shower for Megan would not be complete without a little English flair thrown in. The Eton mess looks so fun! I think the cowboy shooters really make it!

18. Wow, the presentation on this is beautiful Kathryn! Congratulations to the bride-to-be!

19. Mads says:

I am utterly amazed by your English dessert. It looks so decadent! I also don’t think you can go wrong with berries and alcohol. It’s a win-win situation.

20. Eton mess definitely floats my boat! And I love that it’s called a “hen party”!

@Ali – Thank you very much :)

@Megan – Oh honey, I’m so glad you enjoyed today! (And that we managed to keep it a surprise!) I only wish this was a real life party and we could all be there to celebrate with you :)

@Kim Bee – Definitely, it would have been the best party ever!

@Rachel – Thank you!

@Kirsten – Haha, I should definitely have turned them round shouldn’t I? ;)

@Jen – Thank you, I was a bit unsure about these pics but I’m so glad people like them!

@Mads – Haha, so true!

@Chung-Ah – A hen party also seems to be a bit more raucous than a bridal shower, or at least the ones I’ve been on have! But we’ll leave that conversation for another day ;)

@claire – Thank you so much!

22. I love that these are traditional. Perfect addition to the shower!

23. hahaha i love how i thought this was a “drink” so categorized it under drinks..thanks for the clarification though ;) these looks so awesome and beautiful. thank you so much for participating and love love you!! xoxo

24. hahaha i love how i thought this was a “drink” so categorized it under drinks..thanks for the clarification though ;) these looks so awesome and beautiful. thank you so much for participating and love love you!! xoxo

25. Megan definitely lights up the room, so happy for her! And I loved learning about eton mess. Having friends who live in other countries is the best, I feel like I am right there with you enjoying one of these!

26. I have never made or eaten Eton Mess before…but now I am intrigued and not just because you said booze. :) Although that did lift an eyebrow. Great post!!

Heather

27. love the shot glasses and what a fun post for a fun event!

28. hahaha! wished we could’ve seen the front of those glasses :) this Eton Mess looks and sounds great!! I love anything you can just throw in a bowl and has history behind it.

29. Kat says:

1. I completely agree. Doing things The British Way vastly improves…everything.

2. These are like, freakishly adorable. Definitely an upgrade from the standard bowl.

30. What a fabulous round-up of bloggers to share the big day for Megan. And the cutest shot glasses full of mess I ever did see!

31. How have you managed to make Eton Mess look so glamorous!?!?

And I am forever being given the weirdest looks when I talk about my ‘hen’ party…

Congrats to megan! I love how you fancied up this mess for the party! Looks delicious.

33. Unknown says:

Lovely recipe! It sounds delicious and I love the shot glasses.

34. Wow, this recipe is so lovely. You should try the dessert recipes here: http://www.4shapestraining.com/coooookie-a-la-mode/

35. Congratulations to Megan!! My own wedding is a few weeks so I know what an exciting time it is.

Your Eton Mess look divine and the perfect thing for a hen party, virtual or not. :D

36. Haha. I love that you all are referring to this as a hen party. :)

And what a nice thing to do for your friend! I’ve never heard of this pudding before but I love the name. Anything with mess in the name sounds pretty awesome to me. Good choice!

37. Gloria says:

This look amazing!love this:)

38. Hannah says:

What a great idea with the virtual hen do – congrats to the bride to be!
    Oh I love a good eton mess and yours looks divine :)

39. Sophie says:

Such a lovely idea to have a virtual hen party!

Love the idea of raspberry liquer in the eton mess. Not sure it counts as eton mess but I made a version a couple of weeks ago with nectarines poached in honey & thyme. Made a nice change but not as good as berries

40. What a fantastic group of dishes at your virtual hen do!!! Love you pud…it looks so sloppy, messy and delicious!!! x

41. ChiHa says:

This looks yummy! Also, as a side note, when I was little – I thought Eton college was named after my family lol!