It is quite likely that whenever you read this post I will either just have eaten, just been about to eat or actually be eating one of these rice crispy treats. They’re pretty much my new most best thing ever.

When I was little, rice crispy treats were very simple. Melt some chocolate and some golden syrup, throw in your rice crispies and there you had it.

It’s only in recent years that rice crispy treats seem to have evolved into something much more complicated involving butter and marshmallows and goodness knows what else. And I have to admit that marshmallows, or at least shop-bought marshmallows, are one food that I’ve never really understood. They always seem so weirdly pointless and supremely unappealing.

So in the spirit of these simple rice crispy treats of my youth, these only contain three ingredients.  Well, four if you count the chocolate chips that I added which are optional but most definitely encouraged.

Now I do also realise that I’ve become slightly obsessed with nut butters of late but I finding it very hard to stop thinking about them. I promise I’ll stop soon (although I should point out for people in the UK that Ocado currently have cashew and almond butter on special offer if you want to join me in my obsession).  Hazelnut butter is probably my favourite but I think any type of nut butter would work equally well in these. Indeed the last batch I made contained a mixture of three different butters that I found lurking in my kitchen. Honey provides the stickiness here; I think you could use maple syrup but I tend to find that honey is stickier and therefore works slightly better. I like to stir the chocolate chips in when the mixture is still slightly warm so that they melt a little and end up with swathes of chocolate. The chocolate, when it hardens, also has the added benefit of helping to hold the whole thing together but it’s by no means essential, the nut butter and honey have more than enough sticking power.

I feel so much better about life when I have a batch of these on hand. They’re sweet enough to keep me happy but substantial enough that I don’t feel hungry within ten minutes of eating one. The fact that they are so easy and quick to make (seriously, I made the last batch in an advert break during CSI) is just an added bonus.

Hazelnut butter rice crispy treats
Makes 8
  • 110g (1/2 cup) hazelnut butter
  • 3 tablespoons honey
  • 50g (2 cups) rice crispies (I used brown rice crispies but the normal ones are fine. Just don’t use puffed rice. Not the same thing at all.)
  • 50g (1/4 cup) chocolate chips (optional)

Cooking Directions

1. Line a tin or a baking tray with parchment paper.
  2. Melt the hazelnut butter and honey in a medium saucepan over a low heat until they are combined and liquid.
  3. Take the pan off the heat and stir in the rice crispies so that they are all covered. If desired, stir in the chocolate chips.
  4. Pour the mixture into the tin, pat down with your hands and chill until firm (about an hour or two).

I prefer to store these in the fridge but they will last at room temperature for a bit too.

30 Responses to "hazelnut butter rice crispy treats"
  1. I love nut butters as well and am completely enjoying all the recipes using them. So much fun to bake with. I’m loving the more gourmet rice crispy treats that have been popping up recently, definitely tastier than the editions of my childhood. I’ve had peanut butter ones before but never hazelnut butter ones. Since hazelnut butter is definitely my favorite, I’ll have to try these soon!

These sound absolutely delicious! They would be a perfect post run pick me up! I love marshmallows! they’re squidgy instant sugar! like sugar cubes that it’s acceptable to eat in public!

3. I too love nut butters, they are such a good creation. Like the cashew and almond varieties.
    I also make tons of these rice crispy cakes and have yet to meet someone who does not fall for them both adult and child!

4. Elizabeth says:

Hazelnut butter sounds incredible!

5. So, can I come over and watch CSI and eat rice krispie treats with you? K cool I’m getting on a plane now.

6. I LOVE YOUR BLOG!!!! Just found it through Tasty Kitchen. Amazing recipes and beautiful pictures. Can’t wait to read more/ stalk you in the future :)

7. I am joining you in full force in your nut butter obsessions. All nuts should become butter ;)

Fab recipe lady, a classic with a twist! x

8. Just discovered your blog through Pine Cones and Acorns and I already have like 5 recipes bookmarked to try over the weekend! I’m not the best baker (although I am pretty determined) but baking with less than 5 ingredients is definitely my kind of baking!

@emilialoveslife – So glad you’re not bored of them yet, I might just end up making more recipes with them I think ;)

@Jenny – Lol…I think the sugariness is what puts me off marshmallows. I can’t help feeling that there are more satisfying ways to eat that much sugar!

@Laura – Yup, I think they are pretty much a universally popular snack and for good reason!

@Elizabeth – Thank you!

@Tara – Sounds good to me.

@Antonia – Thank you for such a sweet comment, I’m so glad you found my blog and I can’t wait to connect with you!

@Elaina – Amen to that ;)

@Meghan – I’m definitely all about the easy baking so I hope you like what you try, please let me know how you get on and thank you for such a sweet comment!

10. You are so right – krispie treats have evolved into some kind of sophisticated dessert, I love all of the combos I see floating around. Love these too, I have recently had a thing with hazelnuts!

11. Texanerin says:

I have like 11 containers of homemade nut butters in the fridge right now. I know this because my husband complained about it a few minutes ago. What’s funny is that I don’t even like nuts (other than peanuts).

And now I’m torn. I bought raspberries today for your raspberry almond cake. But now I want these and I have loads of chocolate hazelnut spread that I made that needs to get used. What a dilemma!

12. Ashley says:

Hazelnut butter sounds so fancy and delicious!! These look like an amazing adaption to the old school rice krispie treats.

13. Hazelnut butter in rice crispy treats?! Omg, yummy!

14. I love that rice krispies have evolved too. they’re now an adult friendly snack as well! i love the incorporation of the hazelnut butter..these look amazing!!

15. Anh says:

oh yummmy! I miss treats like this!! I also love how you have updated the classic recipes with new flavours/ingredients :D

16. Chuck says:

Nice twist on an old favorite. I love Rice Krispies …. so i know i’ll love these too.

17. These sound heavenly! What a fabulous twist on a classic.

18. Ally says:

Wow what a fabulously unique & delicious crispy treats recipe! I’d love to make these this summer!

19. these sound delicious! in the USA, the rice krispie treats of our youth always had marshmallows in there (because that’s what the recipe on the box always called for), but i’d love to try a twist that is marshmallow-free, since i find store-bought marshmallows are lacking in the flavor department. i bet these are great!

I choose these over the weirdo marshmallow rice krispies any day! Ooo hazelnut butter is new to me! And to think I call myself a nut butter aficionado…

21. I love nut butters, but have never tried hazelnut butter – only Nutella :) These look like an amazing Rice Krispy Treat!

22. I love RKTreats in all ways and forms…great idea with the hz butter!

23. I love rice krispie treats made with marshmallows, chocolate and or peanut butter so can imagine these are delicious too. Lovely photos as well :-)

24. These look so great! I’m not into marshmallow treats so I love your natural version.

25. JulieD says:

Oh my!!! These look amazing!! Must make soon!

26. Nikki says:

I know this was posted awhile ago, but, to let you know – I made these with agave because I ran out of honey and you were right – not sticky enough to stay in squares. Still very tasty though!

27. Linda S says:

Instead of hazelnut butter, could I use Almond butter?