How is it Monday yet again?
The problem with having a Monday just after the weekend is that I am always the most exhausted I can possibly be on a Monday morning.
Not because, sadly, I’ve had a wild and crazy weekend. Although I did have a glass of wine on Saturday night while watching The Voice UK and trying to decide if I had a bigger crush on will.i.am or Danny from The Script. Oh and trying to explain to my boyfriend why will.i.am was such a clever name (“it’s like William but with dots in it but at the same time it’s like he’s saying that he is Will”).
- 150g (2/3 cup) unsalted butter
- 125g (3/4 cup + 1 tablespoon) dark chocolate (85% for preference), broken into small pieces
- 150g (2/3 cup) caster/granulated sugar
- 120g (2/3 cup) brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 40g (just over 1/2 cup) cocoa powder
- 80g (2/3 cup) buckwheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder (gluten free if necessary)
- 1/4 teaspoon instant coffee powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Crease a 23cm square baking tin.
- Melt together the butter and chocolate in the microwave or in a bowl over a pan of simmering water.
- When melted, take off the heat and scrape into a large bowl. Add the sugars and stir with a wooden spoon to combine.
- One at a time, add your eggs and continue to mix with your spoon. With the last egg, throw in the vanilla.
- Finally, fold in your dry ingredients until just combined. Pour into a baking tin and bake for 20-25 minutes until the brownies are coming away from the side and feel set if you touch them gently on top. Allow to cool in the tin before cutting into squares.