IMG_4637

It’s time for another in my IRNTMSTINECFTITMATIGTBLOTIWWAGSLTTTAGTDSOR series (I can’t tell you how long that actually took to type out).

In other words, it’s breakfast time!

I don’t remember breakfasts ever being a communal affair in my family. There must have been a time when an adult was in charge of making and supervising my breakfast but I don’t really remember it. Once I started making my own way to school in the mornings, it would be my responsibility to make two cups of tea and a slice of toast for my mother and to take it up to her in bed just before I left. My own breakfast would generally consist of a muffin or whatever I could grab to eat in front of the early morning news.

I really have no idea how people find the time to sit down and have a proper breakfast in the morning. Even at the weekends when I generally have more time, breakfast is normally gobbled down while sitting cross legged on the bed and checking twitter. At least if my breakfast consists of some plain yoghurt and a handful of oats and seeds, I feel at least a little bit healthy.

I always thought that ‘when I was a grown up’, I’d somehow magically become the type of person that sat down for breakfast every morning (I also thought that ‘when I was a grown up’, I would have learnt to keep my bedroom tidy but that’s a whole other story). It’s not happened yet though and I am pretty sure that it’s not going to happen in the foreseeable future.

I made this granola from what I found hanging around in my cupboards. Some people don’t like chocolate in the morning. I don’t understand those people. I normally use some sort of fruit juice to make up the wet ingredients but realised I didn’t have any (this really is the story of my life at the moment) but luckily Nigella had a recipe using apple sauce, a technique I decided to adopt here.  So long as you keep the ratios pretty much the same, you can use whatever you have on hand.  If it seems a bit dry, add a bit more liquid and vice versa.  It’s pretty difficult to get it wrong.

Cranberry and chocolate granola

Yield: Makes enough for a 1.8l container

• 1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 125g apple sauce
  • 100ml light agave nectar
  • 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
  • Pinch of salt
  • 250g rolled oats
  • 100g sunflower seeds
  • 100g flaked almonds
  • 100g dried cranberries (those sweetened with fruit juice are better, in my opinon, than the really sugary ones)
  • 100g dark chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 150C/300F and line a baking tray with greaseproof paper.
In a small pan, heat the oil, apple sauce agave nectar, sugar and salt and stir to combine.
Put the oats, almonds and seeds in a large bowl, add the liquid and mix until all your dry ingredients are coated.
Spread out over your baking tray and bake for 40-50 minutes until golden brown, stirring every 15 minutes or so. I like to add the cranberries and about 1/4 of the chocolate chips 5 minutes before the end so that some of the chocolate melts and helps to bind everything together.
Remove from the oven and cool before stirring in the remaining chocolate chips.
Store in an airtight container for a couple of weeks.

22 Responses to "cranberry and chocolate granola"
  1. Gotta love chocolate in your granola! Yum!

That comment about the untidy bedroom made me laugh loudly at my desk! This breakfast looks delicious, I’ll have to have a go when I’ve finished my childish box of chocolate weetabix!

3. Andrew's Mom says:

I love granola and I love cranberry – I also love chocolate but it does not love me at all but maybe that little bit wouldn’t hurt so bad. Yummy!

4. Definitely adding to my breakfast repertoire!! ;) Looks lovely sweetie, and I’m so on the same page with you on keeping the bedroom tidy…when will I ever become ‘a grown’ up! ;) x

Totally agree with all of your sentiments about breakfast. :)

6. When we were at uni my friends and I were completely obsessed with that chocolate granola you can buy in M&S – the one with three different types of chocolate that is basically the calorific equivalent of eating a packet of chocolate digestives for breakfast.

This looks like it might just be my more grown up answer to that chocolate breakfast hit. De-licious.

7. Megan Pence says:

Chocolate in your breakfast cereal? What a rebel you are Ms. Kathryn. And I LOVE IT! This looks fantastic. I have always wanted to try my own granola, but never did. It’s about time I should though. Thanks for this beauty and the inspiration to give it a go.

8. I LOVE chocolate in cereal and breakfast and basically any part of my day. I also love having granola for breakfast. I always have it, actually, and usually I put it in greek yogurt — best way to have it (at least for me!). It’s healthy and so filling at the same time :)

9. I have been craving homemade granola. I so wish we were neighbors. I LOVE this!

10. What a great idea for granola! I could definitely devour this over a cup of yogurt for breakfast. Delicious recipe! Thanks, Kathryn.

11. I’m always trying out new homemade granola recipes and cannot wait to give this one a go. chocolate, cranberries! Sounds like a perfectly decadent breakfast. :)
    Also, where do you find applesauce in the UK? I’m always looking for it in my local Sainsbury, but can never seem to find it…

12. I found the most amazing Cacao Nibs and Orange Granola in the Whole Foods Market in London last month (if that place was a person, I would marry it!). It was absolutely gorgeous but I can’t get it over here. Think your recipe may just fill the gap!

13. I totally know what you mean – how does anyone have the time to make or eat breakfast sitting down when there’s barely enough time to shower? I mean, in Gilmore Girls, Rory and Lorelei are ALWAYS having breakfast at Luke’s. Are you kidding me?

Thank God I have this granola – gives me a chance to eat breakfast in the car! :)

14. Alison says:

I do manage to eat breakfast every morning, but my schedule is a bit more lax some days allowing me to actually sit and enjoy it. But you’re right, a lot of the time it’s a rush and done while multi-tasking a zillion other things.

15. love the addition of the chocolate in this granola – this would be fantastic with yogurt for breakfast or, honestly, with ice cream for dessert. gotta love a versatile food like that! =)

16. OK, I love the idea of chocolate granola but I’ve never tried it. I also love the idea of chocolate and cranberries but I honestly can’t remember when I’ve ever put them together! Needless to say this looks awesome to me :D

I’m totally a sit-down-and-eat-breakfast kind of person…but maybe that’s because that’s when I get my blogging done! Chocolate for breakfast is ALWAYS a good thing in my opinion. Loving this!

18. Elizabeth says:

I love granola with chocolate!

@emilialiveslife – I bought a jar in Waitrose, it normally lives with the gravy type things as the stuff I bought was really to go with roast pork but it worked just as well here!

20. RecipeGirl says:

Mmmm! I love everything in this! Perfect on yogurt or eating by the handful!

21. I’m completely in love with this combination!

22. Katherine says:

I have just made cranberry and coconut granola as Lee has finished his and has to be encouraged to eat breakfast.