One of the many things I’m slightly obsessed with (alongside cardigans and Russian dolls to name but two) is animal print.
Yes, it can be trashy sometimes but I think a little hint of animal print can be rather sophisticated. Or at least that’s what I tell myself and anyone who will listen.

Sadly, my boyfriend doesn’t quite share my joy as exemplified by his reaction when he came home from work one Saturday to discover that I’d been out and bought some neon pink leopard print bedding (which I see is on sale right now if anyone feels like following suit).

I had an inkling when I bought it that it wasn’t going to do down particularly well but my mother convinced me that it would be absolutely fine – I don’t know why because I’m not sure my father’s reaction if my mother had brought it home with her would have been any better. I tried the argument that it was nice bedding because it was all shiny and satiny but all that happened was my boyfriend would slide off when he sat on the bed to put his socks on.  Still, as soon as he goes away for any length of time, out it comes.

There’s not much that my boyfriend can object to, however, if I throw on a tiger print cardigan or slip on a pair of snakeskin heels, both of which I do with what is, most likely, a disturbing frequency.
Luckily, I have some wonderful friends who enable my addiction and I’d been looking for just the right opportunity to use some of the animal print muffin cases that I’d been bought for Christmas. I’m quite partial to a muffin at the best of times but give me a muffin in an animal print case and life probably can’t get much better.
These are not just any old muffins though.  I’d been wanting to make chocolate chip muffins for a while and was idly considering the best way to incorporate brown butter when I saw Lauren and Tracy both making brown butter blueberry muffins from the new Joy the Baker cookbook.
The book isn’t released here for another couple of weeks but if this recipe is anything to go by, it will be worth the wait.  The batter for these muffins was probably some of the best that I’ve ever tasted, all sweet and nutty and rich and wonderful and the end product is just as good as you would hope.  I thought  I was actually going to have to fight my boyfriend for the last one (despite the animal print cases).
Brown butter chocolate chip muffins
Adapted from Joy the Baker
Yield: 12 muffins

Ingredients

• 105g unsalted butter
  • 80ml milk
  • 1 egg & 1 egg yolk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
  • 170g plain/AP flour
  • 165g caster sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 100g chocolate chips

Cooking Directions

1. Preheat the oven to 190C/375F. Line a muffin tin with paper cases.
  2. Cook the butter in a small pan over a low heat until it is a light brown colour and there are little brown bits at the bottom of the pan. Remove from the heat and cool until needed.
  3. Beat the milk, egg, egg yolk and vanilla in a large bowl until light and frothy. Add the cooled brown butter and stir to combine.
  4. Add all the dry ingredients at once and fold until just combined. Add the chocolate chips and fold through the mixture.
  5. Divide the batter between the muffin cases and bake for 20 minutes until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.

28 Responses to "brown butter chocolate chip muffins"
    1. miss south says:

I have been lusting after that particular bedlinen myself for ages. so if you need an animal print ally, count me in!

These muffins sound heavenly. The only thing I love more than leopard print is butter…

2. Love how easy these are! Chocolate chip muffins are my favorite…although I’ve NEVER made them!! Weird..

3. they look delicious! and I love the leopard case :)

You should have bargained with him…one muffin = one week of leopard print bedding. Lauren raved to me multiple times about those muffins so I know these, with chocolate chips, must be even more delicious!

5. ileana says:

Heh, I love the animal print cups for the muffins.

Cute! And the sound so good! I love chocolate chip muffins and I bet with the brown butter they are even better! :)

7. anything with brown butter is a winner in my book.

8. I am a fellow animal print lover. It small doses it is absolutely classy, and it is uber cute on these muffins!

9. Oh I’m so excited about that book coming out in the UK – am expecting a flurry of excitable blog posts when it does :-)

I got muffin cases in my stocking this christmas but they’re bright pink and silicone which means the cakes bake beautifully, but you have to make sure people don’t run off with them after eating as they’re reusable! Your animal print ones are super cute – the perfect home for these lovely little muffins.

10. Mal says:

These sound so yummy, and I love the fun cupcake wrappers you used!

Mal @ The Chic Geek

11. These are fabulously chic little muffins, Kathryn! And yes, animal print in small doses is so lovely. There’s nothing better than an all-black outfit with an animal print scarf!

@miss south – It is probably the best bedding I’ve ever seen in my life, it makes me so ridiculously happy!

@Katrina – I hardly ever make chocolate chip muffins either but I think I’m going to be getting loads of requests for these now!

@incapace ai fornelli – Thank you :D

@Joanne – Why didn’t I think of that?! Genius idea!

@ileana – Thank you!

@Erin – These are definitely the best chocolate chip muffins that I’ve ever eaten!

@Maria – Definitely, brown butter is the best.

@Jordan – I like it even if it’s in large doses ;) Thank you!

@thelittleloaf – I’ve got a few silicone ones but I’ve never used them, I’m always a bit suspicious of them but I think I need to get over it!

@Mal – Thank you so much!

@Georgia – You’ve just described one of my favourite outfits!

13. Elizabeth says:

Brown butter and chocolate? YUM!

14. Hannah says:

ooooh brown butter love! It makes everything taste so much more heavenly!

15. What a LOVELY post!! ^.^

I invite you to check out my blog as well whenever you have time. I will come back to inhale more of your yummies =D

XOXO
      The Squishy Monster =D

16. ha, i love your love of animal print! + the cupcake wrappers are just too cute. plus, the muffins sound absolutely delicious. will have to try ‘em soon!

17. Anonymous says:

Very chic! I’m with your other half on the bedding, I’m afraid (thought he may like to know he has an ally!) but LOVE the muffin cases, and the sound of your shoes. Egg and egg yolk missing from list of ingredients – one of each, I assume?

18. I totally agree with you! Animal print gives off sophistication. That being said, your liners are just too cute!

And these muffins! Man oh man I can never get enough of browned butter in my life :)

@Elizabeth – It’s just the perfect combo isn’t it?

@Hannah – Definitely, it’s all caramely and warming and delicious!

@The Squishy Monster – Thanks for your comment, I look forward to checking out your blog!

@Amy – Animal print is the best.

@Anon – Thanks for pointing that out, I’ve updated it now. No idea how I managed to delete them!

@Chung-Ah – Ha, I’m trying to work out what I can add brown butter too next!

20. James Brewer says:

These sound marvellous, and the sound of brown butter in them is great.

The animal print cases are cool too!

21. these sound super yum.

and could those muffin cups be ANY cuter?!?!

22. I’m IN LOVE with leopard so of course I’m in love with these muffin liners and then you top it off with brown butter chocolate chip..ugh, so to die for!!

23. Maris says:

I am quite certain I could eat six of these. Love the adorable cupcake wrappers, too!

24. Seriously I need to buy those animal-print muffin cases for my sister! She would love them. And if her husband would let her, she would totally buy that bedding, too. But we’ll start with the muffin cases and work our way up from there. ;)

25. I kind of feel like chocolate chips beat blueberries any time around;-)

LOVE your liners, SO cute!

@James – The brown butter absolutely makes them, so good!

@elizabeth – I know!! I have a feeling I’m going to be making a lot of animal print muffins in the near future ;)

@Julie – Haha, you are a girl after my own heart!

@Maris – I almost did eat 6 of them in one go ;)

@kale – lol…muffin cases are a definite good halfway house ;)

@Lauren – I have to say, I agree with you. Blueberries are okay but they are not chocolate!

27. Corrie Anne says:

Oh those are so beautiful. And I, for one, LOVE that animal print!!

28. they look delicious! and I love the leopard case :)