IMG_3012

These are probably the best chocolate chip cookies I’ve ever made.

Actually, they’re probably the best chocolate chip cookies that I’ve ever eaten.

They almost made me cry chocolate chip flavoured tears of joy.

I have been wanting to share this recipe for over a month now.  When I knew that a new site design was on the cards, I decided to save them.  It was like having a burning secret which you can’t tell anyone and you’re worried that every time you open your mouth, it will just tumble out.

You have to trust me with these cookies; I know they look like a bit of a faff what with the whole make-your-own-chocolate-chips thing.  I promise it’s not that difficult though and the results are so worth it.

Rather than having hard little nuggets of overcooked chocolate, what you have here are swirls of chocolate truffle. And you can flavour the chocolate truffle however you want; the possibilities are endless.  It’s really not hard.  All you have to do is melt some chocolate, mix it with cream and golden syrup (potential substitutions here if it’s hard to come by) and freeze it. Once the mixture is frozen solid, you chop it up and keep it cold until you’re ready to throw it into your cookie dough at the last minute.  Simple.

I wasn’t hugely surprised that these turned out perfectly because they’re a recipe from my absolute favourite cookbook of the moment – Heston Blumenthal at Home.  Heston Blumenthal is known for his inventive cooking and scientific techniques and, while there are some recipes that I’m unlikely to ever attempt, most of the recipes in this book are happily approachable with detailed instructions and fascinating background information about techniques and ingredients.

These cookies are crisp on the outside, soft and chewy on the inside.  Just as they should be.  There is a healthy dose of salt and a hint of depth from the instant coffee.  I halved the quantities and still made 20 cookies or so. Frankly, it would have been dangerous to have any more on hand.

Heston’s chocolate chip cookies (makes about 20 cookies)
Ingredients

For the chocolate chips:

• 10g golden syrup
  • 70gheavy/double cream
  • 65g dark chocolate
  • Pinch of salt
For the cookies:
  • 220gplain/all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 teaspoonbicarbonate of soda
  • 1/2 teasponbaking powder
  • 5gsalt (this is actually double what you need but I loved it!)
  • 1/4 teaspooninstant coffee
  • 115gcold butter, cubed
  • 260gcaster sugar
  • 1large egg
  • 10gvanilla bean paste (or 1 tsp extract or 1 vanilla pod)

Cooking Directions

To make the chocolate chips:

1. Bring cream and syrup to a simmer. Melt the chocolate in a bain marie.  Take it off the heat when melted.  Combine the hot cream with salt and add to the melted chocolate 1/3 at a time, making sure to incorporate all.
  2. Allow to cool a bit before pouring onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Stand at room temp for an hour then freeze until solid (about 4 hours) Remove from freezer and cut into small squares. Freeze until needed.

To make the cookies:

1. Pre heat the oven to 190C/375F. Sift flour, salt, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and coffee into a large bowl.
  2. Cream the (cold) butter and sugar until light and fluffy. This may be quite tricky because of the butter and so a stand mixer is probably best but I managed it with a handheld whisk.
  3. Add the egg and vanilla and keep whisking until incorporated. Add the dry ingredients and mix for 3-5 minutes until a dough is formed.
  4. At the last minute add the frozen chocolate chips and mix to incorpate.
  5. Place a ice cream scoop of dough (approx 40g) onto parchment paper with plenty of space around each cookie (I got 6-8 on a baking tray).
  6. Bake for 8-10 minutes until golden brown. Allow to cool on the baking tray before removing to a wire rack.

58 Responses to "heston’s chocolate chip cookies"
  1. Congratulations on the new design – very chic. Do you have a secret that you’re keeping….. Come on, Kathryn. We’re intrigued now!!

@Claire – Oh I don’t have a secret anymore! I just wasn’t able to tell a friend something for a couple of weeks and I know she might be reading. I’m so glad that everyone seems to like the new design too :)

3. Andrew's Mom says:

Kathryn, the cookies look amazing – and I like the new design – but I’m an old fashioned girl (or creature of habit) – and I loved the header on the old design – reminded me of an old book plate – but this one is great too! Have a great day. Jenny

4. Jen says:

you and I are totally thinking alike. These look unreal. The giant chunks of chocolate are calling me.

5. Jenny says:

these cookies do not look like they would help my diet- though I doubt that will stop me from making them! is it a good cookbook?

@Andrew’s Mom – I liked the old header too but it was just a freebie one that I downloaded from some website, it’s nice to have a whole design concept now! Have a good day too!

@Jen – I’m having all sorts of genius ideas about what chocolate I can use in them. The next version are going to be made with orange chocolate.

@Jenny – Yes, these are definitely not diet cookies! They’re darn good though. I like the cookbook a lot; there’s a lot of stuff I wouldn’t make (like where you have to smoke things or filtrate things) but there are some really fun recipes as well like for sweets in edible cellophane wrappers which look really easy but so impressive! There are some ‘normal’ recipes too like chicken pie which is next on my list to make.

7. Dizzy Lizzie says:

Love the new blog design! Really! It’s so you!:)

And I cant wait to make this cookie. Really really really. need to get my hands on this book.Havent ever seen it in bookstores in India though!

8. Those cookies look amazing! They are definitely on my must-make list!

In other news, I gave you the Liebster Blog Award! Yay!

9. Elaina says:

I love the little secret thing…it’s a bit of a rush isn’t it ;) glad you waited to share these on the new site! Oh so lovely, the only thing better would be if I had some with me right now! x

10. Alexandra says:

These look awesome!..nothing like a warm chocolate chip cooking and a big, tall glass of milk! Yum!!!

11. Leanne says:

Oh, wow, these look irresistible! Your last shot was so good it was almost painful. I’ll have to try these!

12. Oh. My. God. These look as good as they sounded when you first tweeted about them WEEKS ago. I’ve been hanging on for this recipe (ok so I could have bought the book, but I think I might be getting it for Christmas and don’t want to ruin the present if I am!) for ages. But now here it is, woohoo. Am going to make these this weekend and it can’t come soon enough.

ps I also currently have a pretty small bum. I blame you entirely if I grow a giant cookie shaped lard arse :-)

@Dizzy Lizzy – So glad you like the design! I love it so much! I don’t know if you can get the book online maybe? It’s such an interesting book to read because there’s all the science bits as well as the awesome recipes!

@Krugthethinker – Thank you so much for the award, that is so sweet of you and I’m really honoured. Thank you also for your very kind words :)

@Elaina – If I could magically transport some over to you right now, I would x

@Alexandra – These are the perfect cookie for that! I even took to microwaving them for a few seconds to capture that warm, just baked feeling!

@Leanne – They are absolutely awesome, I can’t stop thinking about them. I hope you like them!

@thelittleloaf – Haha, sorry to make you wait so long for them! I hope the book turns up under the Christmas tree, it’s such a good read quite apart from these cookies!

14. These look sooooo good. I am usually really picky about homemade chocolate chip cookies but these sound amazing. I think I’ll be trying them out soon– here’s to bigger butts!

15. Marion says:

I’ve nominated London Bakes for the Liebster Blogger Award. For more details on this award, stop by my blog http://www.ferdakost.com/2011/11/liebster-blog-award.html

@themoveablefeasts – I’ve never really been able to make good chocolate chip cookies at home but these have definitely changed my mind!

@Marion – Thank you so much for the award, that is so sweet of you! I’m really honoured.

17. Winnie says:

I love the new site design. LOVE!!!
    And I am really really wanting to make these cookies RIGHT NOW. I am so down with the homemade chocolate chips, in particular, because I’ve been mourning the fact that I can’t fine fair trade choc chips around here. So now I’ll be able to make my own with fair trade dark chocolate. WOOT!

@Winnie – I’m so glad you like the site! I really love the fact that you can use any kind of chocolate that you want and I particularly love the idea of using fair trade chocolate. Here’s to healthy and ethical chocolate chip cookies :)

19. this is my fave recipe you’ve ever made or posted!!!

and yes, ive had recipes that are burning a hole in my pocket, too…but I save them. Or try to…and then sometimes I just can’t wait any longer.

and caster sugar (white sugar?) & golden syrup (maple syrup? Or something else)

They look amazing!

@Averie – Do you know, when I ate them, I did think about you because the centre is so chewy and like cookie dough!

For caster sugar, the easiest thing to use is granulated sugar. Caster sugar is basically granulated sugar, just a bit finer – I think it’s also called superfine sugar?

Golden syrup is a bit like corn syrup, I am led to believe. It’s like a lighter version of treacle so you just want something sticky really.

Oh my goodness these look wonderful. I love the idea of it being swirls of chocolate truffles…yum! Also-love the new site design! :)

@Erin – Thank you so much!

23. Dizzy Lizzie says:

I am definitely gonna get this book one way or the other!:) Thanks for writing about it.

@Lizzie – No problem, I hope you manage to track a copy down!

25. Val says:

I’m still on the hunt for a chocolate chip cookie recipe. If it’s Heston’s then it must be perfect plus I’m intrigued by the idea of making the chocolate chips.

@Val – I love the fact that you can make the chocolate chips whatever flavour you want. It opens up so many possibilities!

27. Rachel says:

How long do these typically last, assuming they aren’t gobbled up immediately? Could they potentially be mailed?

@Rachel – They will last for about 5 days in an air tight container. I don’t see why they couldn’t be mailed!

29. Val says:

Just made them and they are everything I hoped they’d be. Perfect.

@Val – Oh I’m so glad you liked them!!

31. Andrea says:

These look very good. I must try to make them. Thanks for sharing.

32. Lucy says:

Made these for a work meeting – everybody suggested I make them again for the next meeting! Absolutely divine! I also loved a few cheeky tastes of the frozen chocolate – yum!

@Andrea – I hope you like them!

@Lucy – Oh good, so glad that everyone liked them! And yes, sneaking a few bits of frozen chocolate is definitely one of the perks ;)

34. Madhu says:

“chocolate chip flavoured tears of joy” !!!!
    :-)

35. Emily says:

I will definitely be trying these out tonight after a hard day in the studio!

@Madhu – No exaggeration ;)

@Emily – I hope you like them!!

37. Amy says:

I agree! I have finally got around to making them (having had the chocolate chips in the freezer for about 3 weeks!) and they are amazing. Thank you for the recipe.

38. Anonymous says:

I made these but they came out a little “Cake like” in the middle. I am trying to figure out what happened. I used regular granulated sugar instead of caster sugar…could that be the issue? Is the flour sold in the U.S. different?

@Amy – So glad you liked them!

@Anon – Hmm, presuming you measured by weight and didn’t convert into cups then the flour/sugar shouldn’t make a difference. I’ve made them quite a few times and they’ve never turned out cakey before. Without actually being there, it’s pretty hard to tell what could have been different. It may have been as simple as your oven running too hot or maybe the mixture was overmixed and too much gluten developed. Sorry I don’t really have an answer but I’m so sorry they didn’t turn out quite right.

40. Anonymous says:

Hi Kathryn, I’m glad I stumbled upon your lovely blog!

I tried the recipe baking them in a 170c fan oven (equivalent to 190c normal oven) and they came out very pale. Your cookies look like they have a lovely brown crisp edges.

I just wondered did you bake your cookies at 190c in a ‘normal’ oven or 190c in a fan/convection oven??

Any advice would be great, Thanks.

@Anonymous – Thanks for the comment and I’m sorry the cookies didn’t turn out nice and brown for you! I have a normal oven and baked them at 190C. I had a quick look in the Heston book last night and he only gives one temperature and doesn’t distinguish if it’s fan or non-fan. If I was using a fan oven, I would probably have done the same as you but maybe the oven temp needs to be a bit higher? The other useful thing I’ve found is to buy an oven thermometer and check that your oven is running at the right temperature and if there are any cold spots. Hope that helps!

42. Anonymous says:

Thanks Kathryn for you quick response.

I tried baking them again today this time baking small batches at different temperatures and times, still haven’t got that nice brown edge!! In the end I gave up ( …plus I had a sugar high from sampling a cookie from each batch!! ) So the cookies are still pale but I like the texture. They are for my nephews school cookie sale so I’m hoping they will still appeal to 5 year olds, he certainly liked them. Thanks again m

@Anon – I’m so sorry they didn’t work out for you, the other option would be to add some booze to them (which I did at Christmas) because they get browner that way but that is probably less appropriate for a school cookie sale…I hope they go down well and I’m sorry again that they didn’t get the right colour!

44. Anonymous says:

Oh… please stop apologizing! It’s a Heston recipe it’s gonna be perfect, yours look fab and your other reads have been successful so it’s probably just my oven… or me!! ha ha… m

45. Zehra says:

Hi your cookie look awesome…mine don’t look like these they just had a light color no matter how much i baked themyours are a beautiful brown with crisp edgess yummm any suggestions??

@Zehra – I’m sorry they didn’t turn out brown. It’s difficult to pin point exactly what went wrong. It may be that your oven runs slightly cool, I always recommend that people use an oven thermometer to check that the oven is actually running at the temperature it says it is! Alternatively, sometimes pale cookies are the result of slightly over working the dough. Hope that helps!

47. Dizzy Lizzie says:

I MADE THIS!!!!!!!!

@Dizzy Lizzie – YAY!! What did you think of them??

49. marla says:

This is cookie perfection!

50. Joelle says:

Oh. My. I need to make these!! :)
    Joelle
    xoxo

51. LKL says:

I saw this delicious chocolate chip recipe on Pinterest and would love to make them but I am not sure what golden syrup is. I live in the US and only syrup I know of is maple. Are making your own chips crucial to this recipe or could I use store-bought ones?
    Thanks for your help.
    LKL

@LKL – The closest thing to golden syrup is a light corn syrup I think although you could use maple syrup or honey and get a similar effect. You could use store bought chocolate chips but I would really recommend making your own; one of the best things about these cookies are the swirls of chocolate truffle and you just don’t get that effect with chocolate chips!

53. Jenny D says:

I have had these on my list to make for so long I forgot about them! Just made these and they are by far the best chocolate chip cookies I have ever tried. Have you tried the NY Times cookie recipe by Jacques Torres? I think these are better and so much easier (and quicker!) to make!

Thank you for not keeping these tasty pieces of Heaven all to yourself!

54. laurasmess says:

Oh, wow. I love Heston’s recipes… I’m hanging out to visit one of his restaurants one day! Definitely going to give this recipe a try. P.S. how do you like being an accountant? I come from a family of them, but I rebelled and became a health worker instead. My dad’s trying to convince me to take over the family business as my brothers aren’t interested. That would involve a career change, hm.

@Laura – Thanks for your comment! As for being an accountant, I quite enjoy it but that’s because the work that I do is interesting and challenging. The training is pretty tough – in the UK at least there are lots of exams and you have to work for a certain number of hours to be qualified too. Feel free to shoot me an email at londonbakes at gmail.com if you want to chat more : )

56. tried these Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe and added a hint of orange zest OMG these are great.

57. pippa cole says:

Truly delicious. I experimented with half the mixture to make a raspberry bakewell version… nervous as I was to adapt such a lovely recipe, I think it actually worked really well. I swapped the dark chocolate for white, removed the coffee and added almond extract and crumbled frozen raspberries (http://itstartedwithstrawberries.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/raspberry-bakewell-cookies.html), I’d love you to take a look.

58. I’ve just made and blogged these after having the recipe bookmarked since you posted it. Thank you for sharing and bringing it to my attention, they were absolutely delicious!